Sunday, January 1, 2017

Monday Musings 1/2

Happy new year!  2016... a mixed bag.  Let's leave it at that.  I try to remember I had some good moments in the year, some quite fun moments actually, but I don't want to repeat much of that year.


I started my new job on Wednesday last week, after the university was closed on Monday.  Those 3 days were spent with a small orientation, learning some aspects of the portal, talking to my new supervisors, and starting some training.  I have required training and quizzes I need to complete before I have access to the financial system.  I figured a quiet 3 days was the time to start those, as well as choose my benefits.  I never like slogging through the benefit choices, but that's all done, and my direct deposit info is submitted.  All that stuff I haven't needed to do in over 7 years.  Oof.

I got one run done last week, on the treadmill, then lucky me, I got hit with a head cold.  Is it fitting that I finished up 2016 on Tylenol cold medicine and Airborne?  I pretty much figured once I slowed down after getting to Colorado, I would get a head cold.  I thought I'd get it the week before Christmas, and since I didn't, I thought I was in the clear.  Nope.  I'm on OTC medicine, and I'm sleeping as much as I can.  I have today (Monday) and Tuesday off before I go back to work on Wednesday.  How about that?  Work 3 days at the new job, 4-day weekend, work 3 days.  I'll take it :)  Too bad it's not normal.

One thing I could still do was do some strength training with this cold.  I could take as much time as I needed, and I ended up doing a lot of exercises from the Iron Strength DVD I have.  I upped the weights too, so Sunday I had a little bit of DOMS.  I biked for 30 minutes since that's easier cardio, and I was hoping that would loosen up my sore muscles a little bit.  Once this cold is gone, I intend to get back to running.


Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up.

18 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you caught a cold. Oddly, it does seem to happen once you slow down. Good job with the strength training! That sounds like the perfect way to start a new job -- a lot of off days! Thanks for linking, Lesley! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a good way to start up. It's quiet so I can get the training done.

      Delete
  2. I am sorry you got afflicted with a cold! I hate being sick. That's nice that you sort of get to "ease" into your new job. Good for you! Your baby is soooooo pretty. Maine Coon for sure, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hudson is one of my parents' babies. I don't know about Main coon but he's a Hemingway cat, with big paws. We say he grew into those paws.

      Delete
  3. I had a terrible cold a few weeks ago. Pretty sure it was RSV. I'm seeing all these babies in clinic with it. I hope you feel better fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This is one of my classic colds, and certainly not fun.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear you are fighting a cold. I have been too since the holidays and have not been able to run like I would like to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really would like to run, but I was able to bike with this. I'll take what I can get.

      Delete
  5. So what our your initial impressions of Boulder? I'd love to hear them!

    Hope that cold goes away quickly. I really hate colds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there 3 days, and didn't venture out. I'll make sure to do that this weekend since we're past the holidays. So far my drive is one mile to work, so I can't beat that.

      Delete
  6. You are not alone in dealing with the head cold. I've read more blogs than I care to admit that are dealing with the same thing!
    It's this crazy weather. Glad to hear your are adjusting to your new job and surroundings. Wishing you health and wealth in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called cold and flu season for a reason! I just wish I hadn't gotten it on the second day of my new job.

      Delete
  7. Sorry you got sick- I thought I was getting a cold last week but it seemed to pass pretty quickly. Hope you are settling into the new job well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hoped I got through without any cold, but it hit later than I thought it would.

      Delete
  8. Sorry about your cold! At least you've still been working out as best as you can. Congrats again on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm itching to get out for a run, but I still need to wait for my head to clear a little bit.

      Delete
  9. Ugh, hope the cold is better soon! I'm impressed you were able to get the strength training done while sick :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strength training was slow, so I could take my time.

      Delete