Monday, January 16, 2017

Monday Musings 1/16

Happy long weekend!  I swear, all these breaks with work, and full weeks are difficult to deal with :-p  Last week seemed so long since I had to work all 5 days.  Wednesday this week is half day since I'm taking if off for some family time.


This past weekend I finally got back to my normal weekend routine.  I knocked off 2.75 miles, and Sunday I got to Pure Barre after more than a month.  I knew the class would hurt, and I did struggle a little bit.  I ended up planking better than I thought I would, so it was a good mix.  I did movements in class I've never done before, and I'll wait and see how sore I am tomorrow.

I also got out and explored Boulder a little bit.  It's not warm enough for me to get out on foot, so I went to a further grocery store to drive a little bit, and coming back I drove through The Hill, which is a student area for Boulder students.  It wasn't busy at all when I drove through, but I'm also learning Boulder is a late-rising town, outside of the runners and bikers.  The area was probably busier later in the day, plus students are coming back for the spring semester.


Once the weather's a little bit warmer, I hope to get on the running path.  As my mom put it, my blood is Texas thin, and I don't have any "in-between" running gear.  I have capris that are good for spring weather, and leggings that are good for winter weather, but nothing for the 40-degree day.  It was cloudy this weekend, and with no sun, no extra warmth.  I was on the treadmill for my run Saturday afternoon, then I played it low key after Pure Barre on Sunday.  A book I'd been waiting for was published, so I downloaded that onto my Kindle to read a little bit while football was happening.  I don't watch football, so I needed something else to do.  The book is the second in the Veronica Speedwell mysteries, and is called A Perilous Undertaking.  The first new book of 2017!

Sherlock wrapped up Sunday too (seasons are very short but episodes are 90 minutes), and finally! Victoria debuted on PBS.  I've been waiting for this one for a while, and was excited for it to start.  I've heard it's been renewed for a second season in the UK, so I already know there's more to come.


Also good news, we have a Nothing Bundt Cakes in Boulder.  That's very important since that's going to be my birthday cake.  I'll have to pick one up next weekend to get ready for my birthday, and I know the flavor.  Their rotating flavor of the month for January is chocolate turtle.  That's the one!

Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up.

14 comments:

  1. I would be lost as far as winter running clothing goes! Glad you had a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to go shopping, and if any place has good choices, it should be Boulder.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you need to get yourself some winter running gear. I bet there are some beautiful trails up there just waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are, but if we have good weather during the week, it's colder on the weekends (of course).

      Delete
  3. Glad you have been able to get back into a routine! But yea, these short weeks definitely make the 5 day weeks a struggle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this week is short too. I know I don't have all access I need, but I would like to get back to normal.

      Delete
  4. Oh yum, love Nothing Bundt Cakes!
    Also love that book cover, the cover alone makes me want to read it!
    From a girl who lived and ran in through-out many winters with snow similar to Boulder. Guarantee once you get the gear and get used to it you'll love it and find that there are very few days that you won't be able to run. The big issue is the people who don't shovel, but snow pack trails are also great!
    Also, give this a try sometime, next time it is snowing at night, go out for a run, it is almost magical to run in a twilight zone of snow at night, you won't even need a headlamp when it's snowing it's always so bright even at midnight! That's my favorite time to run in the winter, if you try it you'll have to let me know if you found it magical too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book in the series was quite good, and I'm hoping this one is too.

      Delete
  5. There's a Nothing Bundt Cakes by me! I'm so tempted to try it, except I'm a pretty good baker myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to bake, but I don't have to clean up after this cake.

      Delete
  6. I've heard about those Nothing Bundt Cakes! YUMMY. Great job in getting back to your workout routine. I know it takes a while to settle back in after a big move like that. This is the first time I've worked a full week in a while. It's been a struggle to say the least. Thanks for linking, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One full week, and then other short week. It'll feel good to get back to 5 days a week and not feel so tired.

      Delete
  7. While I like long weekends I'm just ready to get back into my little routine, or as routine as it can be for me.
    OMG my friends we went to Louisiana with found a Nothing Bundt Cakes place! I so missed it but it looked very good! I think they also had the chocolate turtle too! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I really like their standard flavors, but the monthly flavors can be fun. December was peppermint chocolate chip.

      Delete