Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Grading January

Today's TOTR topic is grading your running month.  I wanted to check in anyway since it's the last day of January, and I actually did track all my miles this month.  Since today is Tuesday, I have one more run today, then I'll have the final total.  Currently, my January miles are 25.3.  I lost some days due to the NYE holiday, but I also lost some running time around my grandmother's memorial service.  I don't normally talk about the really personal stuff, but I know last year I mentioned her failing health was one reason I started job searching in Colorado.  She passed away New Year's Day, but I don't hold that against 2017.  This started in 2016, and 2016 can just go... A-hem.  At least she was able to see everyone before Christmas, and her health took the last downturn after the holiday.


I also didn't do as many miles because it was a waiting game to get my medical card so I could see a chiropractor.  As I mentioned yesterday, I had my first appointment here yesterday afternoon.  She started looking at my whole kinetic chain, and there's good news and bad news.  The good news is she said my lateral strength is pretty good, so all that PT and PT exercises at home are working.  The bad news is there's yet more issues to work out.  Grrrr.  I have my next appointment on Thursday so we can tackle these.  She's had ITBS before, and knows exactly what I'm dealing with.

Week 1: 3.1 miles
Week 2: 8.25 miles
Week 3: 5.85 miles
Week 4: 8.1 miles

If I missed a run, and only ran twice during a week, my mileage was obviously smaller.  I want to get more consistent now that February looks more stable, and get 3 runs in per week.

I did strength training 10+ days, and I did bike 3 times during the month.  I am trying to get more non-running cardio, but it seems the bike is sacrificed for more strength training.  I need to move that training down to the fitness center, but I can watch TV at home while I do my exercises...

In all, I'd give January a solid B.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia

20 comments:

  1. Definitely a solid month for you, Lesley! Sorry to hear about your grandma. That's so hard. My grandpa died on NYD many years ago and like you, we'd just seen him over the holidays before he took a final turn. Almost seems like they were waiting to finish off the year, doesn't it? Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard it's quite common to pass away around New Year's. They've made it through the year and saw family during the holidays.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma, Lesley. Losing family members is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. It took me a while to cry, but I needed to cry.

      Delete
  3. Great job this month with running and strength training! Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. December was so chaotic with my move, I was itching to get a good pattern for January.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear about your grandma. :( I agree, 2016 was the worst!! Great job with strength training... teach me your tips so I can be motivated to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't want a year like 2016 any time soon.

      Delete
  5. You had a good month especially with so much going on. So sorry to hear about your grandma. Glad you found a chiropractor who can hopefully help you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm being diligent with the exercises my chiro gave me. I'm taking all the advice I can get.

      Delete
  6. So sorry about your loss. It sounds like January was a tough month for a lot of us. Here's to a much better February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry too about your grandfather. I really hope February is much better.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother! <3 Hope the chiropractor can help with your issues...glad she's someone who's experienced in ITBS issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She knows what I need to do, and I'm willing to do it.

      Delete
  8. So sorry about your grandmother.
    Looks like your on track with the help that you need. Glad you are working with someone who knows all about ITBS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I didn't want to be like "yay!" when she said she's had it, but she knows what works.

      Delete
  9. It definitely sounds like you earned a B!

    I actually think the ST is probably more important than the cardio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I focus a lot on strength training. It's obviously working since my chiro said my lateral strength is good. Whew!

      Delete
  10. Sorry about your grandmother, but at least she was there for one last Christmas.

    A solid B is great! Cheers to February. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very nice seeing her one last Christmas.

      Delete