Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Ever Get the Feeling That You Wanted to Go?

Today's TOTR is racecation vs. staying local.  I've done both, and while there are perks to both, it's always fun to take a vacation and go somewhere to run.  It's a good to excuse to see places you've never seen before.  I'd never been to Oregon before my trip in 2013, but my best friend from high school and I both signed up for the Eugene half marathon.  It's also nice to be on vacation because even if the race doesn't turn out how you wanted it, you're still on vacation, and can still have fun.


Staying local is nice too because there's no airfare, no hotel, and you can get in your car and drive to the race.  OK, you have to deal with parking, but isn't it nice when you have a chance to sleep in your own bed the night before?  And not worry about getting your go-to breakfast?  I'll be doing just that running the Bolder Boulder, even though I signed up for it at a time when I thought it would be a racecation.  Funny how that worked out, huh?  Now I can drive a couple blocks down the road from work and pick up my packet.  Convenient, to say the least.



Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

14 comments:

  1. It's so ironic that you signed up for Bolder Boulder as a racecation! I like running in new locales so it looks like I'm going to have quite a few racecations this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I didn't know that last year would bring me up here.

      Delete
  2. That is REALLY cool how that worked out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was going to stay with my parents anyway, but now I don't have to worry about flying up.

      Delete
  3. That's super convenient! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it'll be the easiest packet pick up I've ever had.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes, if I've arranged it right, I'm more rested on a racecation than I would be at home because I don't have the daily chores to deal with!

    Although I do race locally a bit, I've actually never done a half locally. I don't want to run a half the same places I train all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a Dallas half, but since I lived in the suburbs, it was new terrain. Kind of boring though. All the sites to see aren't in Dallas proper.

      Delete
  5. I would love to racecation in Oregon OR CO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oregon was fun! Eugene actually reminded me of Boulder a lot.

      Delete
  6. Very cool you've already signed up for your first Colorado race!
    I ran the America Discovery Trail marathon in Colorado a few years back, absolutely loved it. Colorado is definitely a beautiful state, I think you're going to love running there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Boulder's always voted one of the healthiest cities, and there are lots of running clubs.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on making the Bolder Boulder a local race LOL. I love the Denver area, but only ever get to visit. It's not on the list of places to live unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't my plan! I could've done it for 2016, but I was at a concert that same weekend.

      Delete