Tuesday, January 3, 2017

2017 Goals

I don't think I've ever done a post for yearly goals, but I've got a few now.

After taking two+ weeks off from running in December, my number 1 goal is to get back in my groove.  I felt like I was getting some kinks out of my muscles during my one run last week, and I really want to get my consistent running back once I'm over this cold.  Whether that means the treadmill, or getting outside if the temperature is high enough, I have a race to train for :)  I'm still going quality races over quantity, and I do enjoy my down time, but it's time to get back to it.

I would like an even better 10k this year, which also means being consistent with strength training.  I also have to make sure I'm taking in more protein, and I turn to Muscle Milk for that.  It does taste funky, but I need a boost to keep building muscle.  My normal protein intake is enough to maintain my weight, but I need to keep building strength to keep getting better.  Since I went up 4 pounds at my annual physical, compared to 2015, I know I am building that muscle (and truth be told, some work pants feel a little tight).  If my knee is cranky, it means I haven't been good at giving my muscles a protein boost.

With all of that, my next two goals are to keep up my daily stretching, since I'm well and truly off the yoga wagon, and be better at keeping track of my monthly mileage.  I didn't keep track of my running during the summer, and of course now I want to know how many miles I did this year.  I only have mileage starting around September, which does not help.  I need a good running journal if I'm to keep track.

I do want to see if I can register for the Star Wars Light Side 10k for 2018.  I know the 10k's at Disney are super popular, but it's something I want to see if I can get in.  If not, I'll be fine, and since registration is in March, I can come up with plan B if I don't get in.  Sometimes those super early registration dates help a lot.  I'm not sure yet what plan B is, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Finally, for one non-running goal, I want to start making Colorado feel like home.  Since I've never lived in Colorado before, this'll take a little bit of time, but having a job will help.  Dallas didn't start feeling like home until I found my previous job, because then I felt I could put down roots.  Coming in with a job right away will help immensely.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia

22 comments:

  1. All the best with your goals Lesley! I hope you do the Star Wars race so I can live vicariously thru you. :) I need more stretching in my life but I still have to be careful with this fragile hamstring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, take care of that hamstring! I've pulled a hamstring before and it hurt!

      Delete
  2. I stretch every day and I think it really helps! Just 10-12 min after my run. I'm not a yoga gal. I can't relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relax, but I could never fully get in to yoga. I was using it to stretch, so why not just make sure I stretch?

      Delete
  3. Ugh. I'm trying to get over a cold, too. They are the worst. Good luck with all your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! My head colds can get pretty bad, but at least I got it right before a holiday weekend. I could re-cooperate a little bit.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your goals! And Im sure you will settle in to Colorado before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having places to go helps. When I got to Dallas, I didn't have anything to do.

      Delete
  5. I keep thinking that yoga will keep me all stretched out.

    I'd love to live in Colorado. So many trails, so little time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to check out the running paths. We're getting snow right now, but when it melts...

      Delete
  6. Great goals. I've kept track of mileage for three years now. This might be the year I don't. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried in the past, but this year I really want to do it.

      Delete
  7. Great goals!
    I do hope Colorado starts feeling like home soon for ya.
    but I know what you mean about it taking time. I still have a hard time referring to my current home as home its an adjustment. But if it helps the more fun things I find to do the easier it is to love my new home. I think the same will be for you, especially come spring and the snow melts and you can really explore your new areas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope training for Bolder Boulder will help. I'll be exploring town on my runs, in order to do a race through town.

      Delete
  8. These are all great goals! Hope you're able to get in the 10K! That sounds like a fun one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! I'm a Star Wars nerd anyway, but I know how high in demand that race is.

      Delete
  9. Great goals! Good luck getting into the 10K. Hope Colorado feels like home soon - I used to move every 3 years (military family), but I was in school then. It's amazing how that immediately makes you settle in. We are heading towards retirement and a move back "home" and I sometimes wonder how hard it will be to settle in after living in the DC area for 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new job is helping. It gives me a reason to get up in the morning and get back to my work-day routine.

      Delete
  10. Good luck with the goals! You're right that having a job should help with making a new place feel like home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly gives me something to do each day. I'm a person of routine, so it'll help me get my routine back.

      Delete
  11. Like you said, having a job right from the start moving to a new location will help.You will be easier to meet people and get involved in different activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely needed to know how to get to work and back home.

      Delete