Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Running Year in Review

For Tuesday on the Run, I've decided to recap my running year.  As rough as 2016 has been, I've had some pretty good success with my running.  I only did 1 race, but it was a big one.  It was my first major race in my comeback, and it was my one goal race this year.


The year did start a little rocky.  For all the work I'd done in 2015, my knee was still twinging like crazy when I was trying to start training for Tink.  I finally went crying to my chiropractor, who said I needed PT, and I signed up with their physical therapist.  One great thing about this office is they have a lot of sports medicine in-house.  This would be my 3rd round of PT, but my most successful.  Amber was adamant the success I made would not be due to our sessions together, but the amount of at-home work I did on my own.  She always had at-home work for me to do, and I made sure I was as diligent as I could be.  I shifted my focus from running to strength training to put in as much work as I could.  I started PT less than 2 months out from Tink, and I had work to do.


All the work I was able to do did pay off.  I did have slight twinging in my knee during the 10k, but it never got bad.  I never felt like I couldn't run anymore.  As disappointed as I was that my knee was still twinging, I was happy that it was manageable and I could keep going.  It's hard to take it easy before a race at Disney.  There's so much to see in the parks, and my legs were a little tired, but I wouldn't have changed it.


The rest of the year has been focused on more strength training, and slowly building my running base.  Right now I'm up to at least 3 miles with each run, and trying to stay consistent.  I've even done three 4-mile runs this fall, one without Rock Tape!  I'm trying to get away from the Rock Tape, but it's still a safety blanket.  I don't have many goals prior to my Bolder Boulder training, so I want to keep slowly adding mileage.  I'm pain-free up to 4 miles right now, and I want to start pushing that limit once the new year settles in.  I've started looking up chiropractors in Boulder, and there's no shortage there.  I know I'll need maintenance to make sure I stay in alignment.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia

20 comments:

  1. I try to get to the chiropractor every other month (if nothing is bothering me), and I always tape for my halfs. Otherwise I usually don't tape (unless something is bothering me) until I get to double digits . . . I'd love to not have to tape, but I've been on long runs where pain only set in the last few miles.

    I don't know; I also know my legs always feel great when I run a half with them taped! Maybe someday I'll be able to let it go, but if I can't, I'm grateful that I have that tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rocktape really is a safety blanket. As I keep building mileage, I like it as a stability factor and make me confident about getting the further mileage.

      Delete
  2. You are being so diligent and I admire that! I hear Bolder Boulder is a really cool race! Does running at elevation bother you? I suck the it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't, but I do slow down when I fly up there. I hope to run at my normal speed once I'm adjusted.

      Delete
  3. It has been inspiring to read about your hard work that you've been doing to build your running base again. I'm glad you had a great experience at the Tinkerbell 10K. I'm looking forward to following your training for Bolder Boulder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a good running base is essential for the next step. If I can be consistent, hopefully training will be easier.

      Delete
  4. Strength training is so important and so easy to skip. Good for you for making it a priority to help you get stronger.

    Cheers to 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy to skip, but if I do, I get that dreaded twinging as a reminder.

      Delete
  5. What a great year of getting stronger. It's hard for us to focus on strength to make our running better and you are doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strength is difficult, but it's so important.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes it's not fun to not run as much as we'd like but you're being so smart about laying the groundwork before you build your mileage. That's going to payoff so well for you. Cheers to a wonderful 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just happy to be running. After not being able to run without extreme frustration, I'm having fun again.

      Delete
  7. Strength training was really pivotal in my ability to keep running! I hope 2017 is a better year for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been pivotal for me too. I'm taking it very seriously.

      Delete
  8. You made so much progress in 2016! Now that you are pretty much past your injury Im excited to see what you are able to do in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'm past it, but it's definitely easier to run and build mileage.

      Delete
  9. Strength training is extremely helpful in so many ways. Here's to a better 2017 for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to make more progress since I've had almost a year to really focus on strength.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like all the hard work you've put in with strength training and PT is paying off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! My main focus is still strength so my running gets better.

      Delete