Tuesday, December 6, 2016

One Thing Running Has Taught Me

The theme is for 2016, but I'm going in a general direction.  One thing running has taught me is persistence is a good thing, and while I may get knocked down, get up and keep going.

Remember this '90s gem?
I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down


To sum up everything I've done since being hit with ITBS in 2013:

* I started seeing a chiropractor
* Tried yoga
* Walked the entire 2014 WDW half marathon
* Got a cortisone shot
* Started 1st round of PT
* Tried yoga again
* 2nd round of PT
* Discovered Pure Barre
* Gave up yoga
* 3rd round of PT at a different place, plus at home work
* Completed first major race in 2 years with just a small amount of twinging
* Continuing with at home PT and Pure Barre

It hasn't been easy, believe me.  In all of this, I've never quit.  So how has that help in real life?

Do you know how many jobs I applied for after I decided to move to Boulder?  5 turned me down before the phone interview, 1 had a phone interview but said no after that, 2 had final interviews, and 1 of those said no.  The "no" hurt, and did knock me back a bit.  Want to know the funny thing?  The job I got the verbal offer for on Thursday was one I almost didn't apply for.  I was bruised by the process and was tempted to wait until after I moved up, to make things easier.  I took a chance on this one, and look how that turned out :)


The trick is to keep going.  It's OK to take a little time and lick your wounds, but persistence is the way to get what you want.

And maybe stubbornness.  I'm too stubborn by half, but it also helps.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia

20 comments:

  1. Isn't is amazing how persistent running injuries can be? But we just have to be ore persistent an not give up! I am glad you have been able to make so much progress lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as 2016 has been rough, I've made a lot of progress this year.

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize you were moving to Boulder! We love it there! Way to go not giving up. So crazy you almost did not apply for the job! What kind of job is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Research grant accounting. It's the other side of what I do now, but I majored in finance. I like numbers.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the job offer! Persistence really is the key to so many things in life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't that the truth! It's hard, and sometimes I do need a break to keep going.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this!!! Job searching is super frustrating and it's always nice to be reminded that not everyone gets their dream job on their very first try. One of my favorite saying is "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I was still bummed, but figured it was a 0% chance if I didn't send my stuff in.

      Delete
  5. Stubbornness is just a nasty name for persistence (and yes, I'm pretty good at both).

    Job hunting these days just suck, so congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard, and I'm not even up there yet. But a major stressor off my shoulders.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the job!!! Great news, lady!!

    And thanks for the song... haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only song for this situation :)

      Delete
  7. Oh I TOTALLY BELIEVE YOU on the ITBS thing. As you know I battled it for 18 months. It is totally no joke. I sincerely hope that these issues clear up for you and you have only good runs with no twinging at all once you move to Boulder! Congrats again on the job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have to be good with at-home PT, but it's clearly making a difference.

      Delete
  8. This lesson is SO important! What is it they say? It's hard to beat a person who never gives up. Amen to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder they say don't give up. It was difficult and tiring, but worth it.

      Delete
  9. You've learned a very valuable lesson about persistence. There's so much that we can all take away from running beyond just the physical activity of it itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty stubborn, but that's a good thing in a runner sometimes. I just have to be a smart stubborn.

      Delete
  10. Yay for the job offer! I always say that running has taught me to believe. And that means getting back up each time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be tough to get back up, but nothing gets done if I don't.

      Delete