Thursday, December 15, 2016

Good-Bye Texas

2016 has definitely been on of "those years," and not in a good way.  I realized it was time for me to move on for my career, but I wasn't ready to move from Dallas.  I had a hunch this would happen though, when I sat for my certification.  I'd been coming to terms with it when I decided I needed something new, but did I want to leave?  The answer really is no, then yes.  What started as curiosity ended up shifting my whole job search to Colorado.  I'm ready for a new adventure, in a new state, but I'm not ready to leave my friends.  I know I can always come back to visit, they can visit me, and thank goodness for Facebook.  I'll be able to keep up.


When I moved to Texas in early '09, I was 24, and had never lived on my own.  This wasn't a starter kit either.  I was in a different time zone than my parents, and it was feet first into the deep end.  I certainly learned quite a bit about what I could do.  I fell in love with running.  I discovered that I can cook, and that I like cooking.  My job introduced me to a field I never knew existed, and getting that job also meant not having to move back to Boston.  My first trip back showed me that my close friends didn't live there either.  There wasn't anything to move back for.


I also learned the downside to adulting.  Really, they don't prepare us for all of this.  Financial independence is overrated.  Got a car?  That'll give you some surprises.  There's nothing like going in for the annual inspection and being told you need a new battery.  Or new tires.  That one hurts.  I took back all those times I said I wanted to be independent.  No I don't!  Not anymore!


I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the most important thing: Allie!  She's a Texas girl, born, had her litter, and adopted.  She adds so much to my life.  She's cute, she's funny, she's a snuggle bug.  She zooms around and plays tag, then bonks.  I make sure her condos are against the windows so she can survey her kingdom.  She'll have more space to run around, and two step brothers to play with.  I know she'll hate me for the two days we're in the car, but we'll both get there.


Now I'm almost 32, and it's time for the next adventure.  I'm excited for my new job because it means learning new things and rounding out my skill set.  I'm excited to be close to my parents again.  I'm excited for the running scene in Boulder.  I might even take a ski lesson here and there.  So much has happened in these last 8 years.  I'm scared too because it's another unknown, but an unknown that has a pretty good safety net already in place.


I'm ready.

14 comments:

  1. Safe journeys! Gizmo was such a trooper on the trip here (he was also TX bred), not so much his brother Simba . . . I think I need to tell that story!

    You moved to TX when we moved away, LOL! And I feel the same way about here -- this is not where I want to live, and we don't plan to retire here, but I will miss my friends. And it takes me a long time to make new ones!

    Oh, and new tires? That's nothing. I needed a whole new transmission when I was just starting out -- thank you so much, parents (they gave me their old car, and yes, not very long afterward, the transmission died).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Allie's a trooper, but she hasn't done this before. I had a fish when I moved to Dallas, and that was so much easier to deal with.

      Delete
  2. As a relatively new reader to your blog, it's interesting to get some background on what brought you to Texas and your decision to adventure in Colorado. I'm glad you're ready! Best of luck to you on this v awesome new chapter! And good luck in the car with Allie!!! I hope she's a good little girl for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated my job and it was time to leave Boston, and the Texas economy was expanding rapidly. It was a good place to move for a fresh start.

      Delete
  3. I know you will miss your friends but now you have this great opportunity to be near your parents. Time goes by too fast and time with parents is something you will never get back. Take care Lesley and safe travels my friend! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We have arrived, and the drive wasn't too bad. I'm happy to be out of the car.

      Delete
  4. I hope the move goes smoothly! It sounds like Texas has been good to you but that you have a lot of great adventures ahead of you in Colorado :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas was very good to me. I hope Colorado is the same.

      Delete
  5. Best of luck on your new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you have a great move and all goes smooth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did. A little bit of snow, but there's a reason I bought an all-wheel car.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you learned alot with your move to Texas and now you are ready to move on! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a lot about myself in Texas. First time on my own and I succeeded.

      Delete