Friday, December 9, 2016

Friday Five: Running Wardrobe

This may be my last Friday Five of the year.  Next Friday I'll be turning in my cable and internet equipment, the Friday after that I'll be visiting family all day, and the Friday after that should be my third day with my new job.  I'll try to keep up, but everything is almost here!

We've received our arctic blast in Texas, and it's quite cold, but not as cold as Boulder on Wednesday.


What?!

It's a good thing my birthday is a month after Christmas, because I need some new running clothes if I expect to survive winter running in Boulder.  If I can get outside, great, but I have a feeling I'll be retreating to the treadmill until I can adjust.

1) Running jackets.  I know the running stores should be stocked with these, but I need to research which ones are good, then try them on.  I've already found a style from Pearl Izumi I want to try.

2) Running hats.  I hate it when my hair is shoved up in a winter hat, so I know where I'll turn.  Oiselle has a hat that accommodates a pony tail!

3) Running gloves.  I have standard, Texas winter gloves, but they're not running gloves.  I know this because I used them in my frigid 5k last year.  I need some solid running gloves that will keep my fingers warm.

4) Which brings me to hand warmers.  Any of those in my gloves will be nice.

5) Hot chocolate.  If milk is a good recovery drink, hot chocolate must be nice in the winter.  I'll have to have canisters of this if I want to warm up after a run.  Ghiradelli makes really good hot chocolate mix.


Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.

18 comments:

  1. I have often used hot chocolate as my recovery drink. :)

    I know it gets cold in TX, having lived there, but it's short lived. Yes, you're going to need new gear for Boulder (some place I've considered, btw, but I haven't been there).

    Good luck with the move & your new job! Moving is HARD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packing's difficult, but I can see progress.

      Delete
  2. Well this all sounds like an amazing excuse to go on a huge shopping spree!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My birthday's a month after Christmas, so after that I can see what I need.

      Delete
  3. Check out Marshalls and TJ Maxx. They have really warm stuff for CHEAP! Especially jackets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My mom has a jacket she's not using, so I'll be able to take my time finding one I really like.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the new job! That's exciting. Yes my blog will be pretty neglected over these next few weeks. I hope you got lots of cold weather gear as gifts! You'll need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These didn't end up on my Christmas list, but they're definitely on the birthday list.

      Delete
  5. I highly recommend the Nike Shield running jacket. Though I'm not sure what the wind chills get down to in CO. Here in Cleveland they can be pretty brutal. I'll let you know how it works out tomorrow in "feels like 4˚."

    I highly recommend convertible mittens with hand warmers. Last year I ran in them and my hands got so hot they were sweating. Also, duct tape warms to your toes if they don't fit inside your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll see if stores have that. I've been reading it's all about layers and how many will I need.

      Delete
  6. I had an amazing hot peppermint mocha from Starbucks when we were away last weekend. WTH was I missing out on? That was so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't have hot chocolate with water anymore. Since I started with Starbucks making theirs with milk, I'm spoiled.

      Delete
  7. Wow you are really going from one extreme to another!
    Hey, I saw running hats and headbands that have ponytail holes in them and they are probably cheaper than the Osiello ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am! I adjusted when I moved to Texas, so I know I'll adjust to Colorado. It's just not going to be fun.

      Delete
  8. I'm an Iowa Gal, and I know cold weather LOL A suggestion regarding gloves....you can wear your "Texas" running gloves under thick mittens. Chances are, you won't need both of them for an entire run (depending on how long you're outside), but you could discard the gloves if you get too warm (which would be the "sweatiest" layer) then just use the mittens for the remainder of the run ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're a good pair for not-freezing temps, but not much good lower than that.

      Delete
  9. How cold does it get in Texas?

    Under Armour has great lined shirts that keep me warm!

    have a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can get cold, but I swear the cold is worse in Texas. It's different from the cold in Boulder, but I'll need layers to run in.

      Delete