Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Turkey Trot or Not

How many people do turkey trots on Thanksgiving?  I got curious since I've seen a good mix of people not doing turkey trots vs. people who do.  I thought about doing one this year, but I didn't find a good one that I thought I had to do.  Dallas has a huge turkey trot every year, but that would require driving a logistical parking, and no thanks. 


The last couple years, I've done my run before Thanksgiving so I can relax on Thanksgiving day.  I did do a turkey trot in 2012 when I spent all of Thanksgiving week in Boston, and it was fun running around my old town of Wellesley, in an area I didn't really run in when I was growing up.  My parents' house was on the other side of town, and the course took us around downtown Wellesley and thru a little bit of Wellesley College.  If anyone's done the Boston Marathon, you've run parts of the turkey trot's course.

It was fun, but it's also been fun to do other races or runs before Thanksgiving.  I still had one dish left to prepare this year, so by already having done my run, I could take my time, watch the Rockettes during the tape delay of the Thanksgiving Day parade, and finish making the food.



Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia

20 comments:

  1. I've always run on Thanksgiving, but I've only started to do Turkey Trots since I started hosting. Which is kind of weird, I don't get to see the parade or the dog show but I still enjoy doing it.

    I didn't know (or remember) you grew up in Wellesley! So did my husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the parade for the Rockettes, and was reminded why I don't watch it. So commercialized.

      Delete
  2. I've never got to do a Turkey trot because we travel on thanksgiving day. I will do one one of these years though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun when I did it, but it's not something I feel like I have to do. As long as I stay active during the week.

      Delete
  3. I've never done a Turkey Trot, mostly because it would take up too much of the day and we usually eat early afternoon. But I have gone out and run in the past in the morning, but oddly not this year.
    The Rocketts are a classic fav!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel rushed if the meal is early or mid-afternoon. Running before the day makes things calmer.

      Delete
  4. While I always run on Thanksgiving morning, I never trot. :) We like others said, we eat early so I need to be run and done by like 11am! Plus I like ot do more than 3 miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about running Thanksgiving morning, but the weather was perfect Wednesday afternoon.

      Delete
  5. I did a turkey trot in 2011, but that's the only time I've done one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're worth doing at least once. I definitely felt accomplished afterwards.

      Delete
  6. If I'm cooking I typically don't trot on Thanksgiving Day. I do have a trot about 2 miles from the house that's super convenient but it's gotten super pricey and waaay too crowded so I don't do that one any longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would feel stressed if I was out but knew I had to cook stuff. Staying in would mean I could move slow and still cook.

      Delete
  7. I did a Turkey Trot. I actually do one even if I'm hosting. Lol! We do almost all of our prep the week leading up to Thanksgiving so the only thing left to do on Thursday is to make the bird -- which is my husband's job anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always good. I did have the desserts done, and I prepped the last dish, so I only needed to put it in the oven.

      Delete
  8. I do like to do a Turkey trot on Thanksgiving it just kind of destresses me a little and sets me up for a better day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running always makes me feel better.

      Delete
  9. Personally, I love doing turkey trots! I even did the one in Dallas when we were there for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago! This year, my area did not host a turkey trot so I ended up doing a virtual one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about the virtual option, but just decided to do an easy run around my neighborhood.

      Delete
  10. Because we left early Thanksgiving morning to travel to see family, I didn't do a Turkey Trot. While I had hoped to get a run in once we arrived, traffic on the road made it so that I didn't have enough time to get a run in before Thanksgiving dinner. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to run before Thanksgiving, given the uncertainty of the day. I used it as a full rest day this year and didn't even do strength training. That was Friday.

      Delete