Thursday, November 17, 2016

Random Thursday

Runner's World has an article by Jeff Galloway about how to recover from your first half marathon.  Even before seeing what his tips are, I knew don't repeat what I did after my first half marathon.  Many readers know my first half was Disney's Princess in 2012, but maybe y'all don't know my epic failure in recovery.

My family had gotten a rental car so we could drive to the runner's village.  My dad can drive that route in his sleep.  The downside to that is fighting traffic out of EPCOT when the race is over.  It doesn't move.  I'm sitting in the car, and EVERYTHING I drank on the course and post-race came due.  We aren't moving!  We're sitting and sitting and finally I can't take it anymore.  I get out of the car and waddle on over to the empty port-a-potties.  When you gotta go...


The rest of the day consisted of sitting at lunch, sitting a car, sitting at tea, sitting in a taxi, sitting at the airport, sitting on the plane, sitting while driving my car, and going to bed when I got home.  I'd been up at 1:30 Florida time and got home 11:30 Texas time.  Time difference = 23 hours.

To say I was sore the next day is an understatement.

*****

I bought another pair of shoes!  Since New Balance released the 860 version 7, I decided to buy another pair of the version 6's because my feet liked them a lot.  I'm doing well in the Ravennas, but it never hurts to have another pair of shoes that my feet like, lined up and ready to go.  Since I'm rough on shoes, I need a stash to get me through training.  Now I have two pairs to get me to the Bolder Boulder.  Then I'll test out the 860 7's and Ravenna 8's, whenever those come out.


*****

I know I mentioned here before that I'm not a fan of Disney turning their animated classics into live action movies, and I was refusing to see every one, and I was angry they set their sights on Beauty and the Beast.  It's my favorite Disney movie, and it was my first Broadway play, so it's personal to me.  Then they released the first real trailer on Monday.


It looks amazing!  6-year-old me is jumping up and down like crazy, super excited to see it - I was 6 when I saw the original in theaters.  I also read they discovered unused Howard Ashman lyrics, and they're putting them in the movie.  Oh boy!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVED MY NB 860v6 - I can't wait to try about the 7s. I want to grab a pair, but my local running store isn't carrying them (I don't know why). I might have to cave and get them online!
    I'm excited for Beauty and the Beast as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My LRS had the 860 6, which I was fitted for, but I wanted another pair before I check out the 7's. I hate shoe hunting during a training cycle.

      Delete
  2. Those new NB shoes look beautiful!!! Can't wait to hear what you think of them. Beauty and the Beast is one of my all-time favorite Disney stories, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! I loved the combo when I saw them online but my store only has the blue. Online it was!

      Delete
  3. After Boston, I had to drive us home 8.5 hours!!! NOT good for recovery. We stopped a couple times on the way home for fast food and my legs hurt so bad each time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know traveling makes things difficult, but I could've done a better job before the airport. It took me a while to get my muscles going.

      Delete