Monday, November 7, 2016

Monday Musings 11/7

Daylight standard time.  How I hate thee.  The past two years I've woken up at 5am and have been wired.  I'm not sure which is better - light in the morning, or evening.  I prefer to not choose and have both.  But now I hope it's easier to wake up in the mornings.  I've had to scrape myself out of bed the past couple weeks.  Now I'll just be hungry at 10:30, and that's after having a morning snack.  My stomach never seems to get the memo that we've changed time.


At least someone was happy to snuggle since I was up so early.

Saturday I continued to break in my new Ravennas.  I did 3.1 miles on the treadmill, though struggled a little bit in the last half mile or so.  My arches are still a little sore from my older New Balances, but  cardio wise I felt good after reaching 3 miles again since getting my 4 miler done.  I've been stretching the soles of my feet, and massaging them with my lacrosse ball, plus ice packs.  It's happened before with older shoes, so I just need the ice packs to start working their magic.  I again listened to my Christmas playlist because I wanted the great beats the songs have.

I also finally got the crock pot out Sunday night.  I've been waiting and waiting since it hasn't felt like fall, but it's time.  It was gray, and decided to rain mid-afternoon, so perfect weather to get the crock pot going.  Throw everything in, brown the chicken a little bit, voila!  Dinner's done 5 hours later.  Plus leftovers.  Cooking should be easy this week.  I also plan on making a southwest dish on Tuesday with green chills and chili powder.  I won't watch the election results, but wanted something south-of-the-border.

Did any readers run NYC?  I hope y'all had a better time than I did watching it.  I ended up being very disappointed with ESPN's coverage this year, especially with the women's race.  They made a lot of side segments more important than the races, and then focused much more on the men's race.  Instead of telling us how Molly Huddle is doing, how about showing her?  Once Mary Keitany made her move to shed the pack at 10 miles, they never showed the runners behind her.  Even in the last few hundred meters, they switched to Keitany, already done and getting pictures taken, instead of Huddle and Sally Kipyego as they bared down on the finish line.  I understand coverage won't be perfect, but it could've been much better.


Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up.

12 comments:

  1. Ooh... I should get out the crock pot. The weather has definitely turned cooler so it seems the right time for it. Thanks for the reminder :) And I wasn't a big fan of the NYC Marathon coverage either. It seemed really disjointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. They didn't plan well, and spent so much time on non-race stuff.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the slow cooker! Best kitchen invention known to human kind. If you have any recipes you love, please share as I'm always looking for new ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still playing around, but I made butter chicken this weekend.

      Delete
  3. Its definitely a good time of year for the crock pot! I think I am going to ask for a new one for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My current one was a Christmas gift. It's awesome.

      Delete
  4. As a morning runner, I love the time change. But I hate that it gets dark so early. When I left work tonight, it was like midnight. At 6 pm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough now because it's been raining for 3 days, but I hope to see sunlight in the mornings.

      Delete
  5. I also wondered why we were only seeing the lead NYC female runner. It was obvious she was going to win by a huge margin, but show us who is fighting it out for 2nd and 3rd! I admit, I run to a few Christmas songs all year long. No shame! Thanks for linking, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fight for second and third would've been nice to see. Molly Huddle stayed consistent, then caught the runner in third and overtook her.

      Delete
  6. I've cooked in the crock pot a few times since it has turned off cooler. I was at the campground and missed the NYCM but there were several of our WW family running it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Temps are still fluctuating, but the crock pot gives me more options.

      Delete