Friday, November 18, 2016

Holiday Foods

One more week and we will be beyond Thanksgiving.  Wait, what?  Seriously, I can't handle this year anymore.  What are some of y'all's favorite Thanksgiving or Christmas food?  I always love the desserts, but I have to be good and eat my dinner first ;-)

1) Here is the recipe for the pecan tassies I'm going to make.  I have all the ingredients, all I have to do is make them.  I'll start making the batches on Monday, and get two done for Thanksgiving.  I also have ice cream.


2) Christmas Eve dinner is going to be tamales with Spanish rice.  My dad's in charge of the wine for that one.  My mom and I decided the dessert.  Or maybe I decided on the dessert.  I wanted to stay with the theme, and found this.  I'm drooling simply thinking about it.

3) Our tradition for Christmas dinner is standing rib roast with oven-browned potatoes and dried corn.  Dried corn is a Pennsylvania Dutch thing.  I have Pennsylvania Dutch in my family tree, must explain why I love it so much.

4) Since I was on a potato kick a few years ago, I'll add my friends Jon and Brenda make this potato gratin dish for Thanksgiving, and I look forward to it every year.


5) Finally, a tradition that's not food.  I put the tree up every Black Friday, and will do so again this year.  I had the tree at work last year, and I need to see how Allie handles the tree this year.  She's 2 years older, but she's still young.  I need to make sure she'll behave around my parents' tree.


Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.

14 comments:

  1. Omg Allie vs. the tree!!!! We can't do trees anymore, as you can imagine! This is REALLY hard for me because I love a big, live, Christmas tree.

    I have PA Dutch in me too on my dad's mom's side of the family! :) I have never heard of dried corn though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did bring it down that first Christmas. 5am, and it didn't even scare me. I knew exactly what it was.

      Delete
  2. I am from PA (not PA dutch region though) but I have never heard of dried corn.

    I don't shop on black Friday so I stay home and get my Christmas decor out too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may shop online on Black Friday, if there's a deal, but I don't go out shopping.

      Delete
  3. One good thing about being Jewish is not having to worry about your cats knocking over the Christmas tree. Both Simba & Gizmo loved to climb -- I sure they would've done it if it had been available to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new tree is sturdier, so I hope it can hold her, if she decides to climb. It'll be an experiment this year.

      Delete
  4. Growing up, my cats always used to have such a field day with our Christmas tree! We'd come home to find remnants of branches and ornaments scattered everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom had a cat who ate tinsel. I don't see how that's tasty.

      Delete
  5. Tamales how interesting! I just saw that on another blog had no idea that was a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're fun, and different from seafood, which I know is popular for Christmas Eve.

      Delete
  6. I think we are going to put our tree up the Saturday after Thanksgiving, This year really is just flying by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always put it up the day after Thanksgiving. That way I wait until that holiday is past.

      Delete
  7. Haha! Cats are so dumb and cute and hilarious. Our kitties used to stare at the tree just like your photo and then bat at the ornaments. I miss them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents' cats lay under the tree and nap on the tree skirt until we put everything away.

      Delete