Friday, November 11, 2016

5 Other Sports

Welcome to another Friday Five 2.0.  Today's topic is 5 other sports we wished we were doing.  I'm going to mix it up and talk about sports I wish I'd considered growing up.  I don't have much time around work, and running is great.

I played soccer from third grade through my senior year of high school, then lacrosse from 8th grade through my junior year of college.  Since I did both sports in high school, I was pretty busy year round.  Summer was getting ready for soccer, then soccer season, then winter was getting ready for lacrosse, then lacrosse.  College was lacrosse year round until my senior year.  So what do I wish I had the opportunity for?


1) Fencing.  Such an elegant sport.  I keep thinking to the Princess Bride, or the light saber duels.  Or maybe Zorro.  All staged by the same fencing master, Bob Anderson.


2) Hockey.  I'm a huge fan, but I never learned to skate.  Just as well.  My friends in high school had to deal with 4 and 5am practices regularly.

3) Dancing.  This one has so many categories, but dancing.  I did dance and gymnastics at the Y before starting soccer.  I'm so not flexible anymore.  But I'm having fun watching the Rockettes on Youtube since I got my cousins and Godmother since I got them tickets to see the Rockettes for their birthdays.  They're in NYC this year at the beginning of December.


4) Skiing.  I have my chance at learning to ski when I move to Colorado.  I've never been a winter sport person, but Colorado's different.  Nothing seems to stop them, even a blizzard - well, temporarily at least.


5) Archery.  the Olympics makes archery look cool.  I made sure to watch the competitions this time around, just like 2012.  Archery seemed really popular in 2012, between the Hunger Games and Brave.  I even took a couple classes.


Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.

16 comments:

  1. I have seen the Rockettes perform around the holidays one year while visiting NYC and it was pretty cool. They are so insync.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw them in '99, and knew my cousins needed to see the show. It's amazing.

      Delete
  2. I also wish I had grown up taking dance lessons! The Rockettes are awesome- so fun to watch. Paul's nanny was actually a Rockette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I did take rec dance, but I fell in love with soccer. Still love it.

      Delete
  3. Hated skiing -- running is the only sport I want to go fast in! I used to like archery in school & summer camp, but it's been eons since I held a bow & arrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried snowboarding once, and didn't like that. They say skiing is easier, and I hope so. I spent more time falling than snowboarding.

      Delete
  4. I used to do archery at summer camp and I was SO GOOD. It was a really fun sport. I don't know how I'd do now as a grownup though. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly had fun. I know I was at the beginner's area, but I liked it.

      Delete
  5. I loved soccer growing up--it was the last sport that I gave up before dedicating everything to horses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it still. It was the right time though to drop it and focus on lacrosse. Both sports were great.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, there will be no dancing in this gal's life! I would love to dance but I'm seriously uncoordinated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I haven't danced, I attribute my good footwork to the Y classes. I'm a klutz off the field.

      Delete
  7. ha ha...yeah, what Wendy said.....I'm totally uncoordinated from the waist-down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's why I haven't tried Zumba. I could do it at home, but I don't think my hips could do it.

      Delete
  8. This should be of no surprise, but sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were still dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder those kinds of things. If I had more free time, I could look into being a youth couch for either soccer or lacrosse.

      Delete