Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Still Finding Balance

I mentioned yesterday that my ITB perked up near the end of my run on Sunday.  I'm still trying to find balance between strength training and running, and I may have been slacking on strength training.  After my run in the morning, and getting my flu shot, and finishing errands, I did 4 strength training exercises, and my glutes were so tired, especially my right side.  I was doing a series on my side, on the floor, with a clam shell, leg lifts, forward motion, and leg circles, and my right glute was protesting pretty quickly.  I'm re-evaluating my schedule, and I think I need to start strength training after my runs during the week.  I'll rest after my weekend run.


When I started running again this fall, I was just running, heading home to foam roll, stretch and ice.  It's what I've always done after a run, and nothing after.  Now I realize I should still be strength training after those runs to keep on challenging my stability.  It doesn't have to be a big strength session, but maybe 4 or 5 easier exercises that focuses on my hips and glutes to keep them firing.  I have so many exercises to choose from, so I won't run out of ideas, but I don't think I've been doing enough to help my legs now that I'm outside again.  I know part of this is getting used to outside, but Sunday was a wake up call.  The 3.5 pain free miles was great, but I was reminded I still have work to do.

Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.   

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is! I think I do a good job, then nope!

      Delete
  2. I think it's a great idea to strength train after your run. I was doing this for awhile and quit...I hope getting back to it will help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to remember I don't have to do everything, just a few exercises to keep challenging those weak spots.

      Delete
  3. I'm having a hard time striking this balance between running and strength training too. It's hard to fit everything in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I like to work out, whether running or strength training, cook and eat dinner, and relax, and some nights visit friends. Where does the time go??

      Delete
  4. I never do any strength training exercises after my run. Heck I barely foam roll. I need to do that more often. The only time I do strength training is when I teach my body pump class once a week. It's a good thing I do that because if I didn't I'm sure strength training would be non existent for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to not like weight lifting, but it's something I did because I had to. Now I like all the body weight exercises and Pure Barre, and haven't touched a weight machine in quite a while.

      Delete
  5. I do strength training after short runs, like 4 miles or less. Otherwise I wait for another time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's about the distance of my current runs. I'm not sure I want to build up to a half marathon, but I can do 5 and 10ks.

      Delete
  6. Its tough to find the right balance. I usually do my exercises before my run so I don't skip them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did them at lunch on Tuesday, but I know that's not an option for some people. I have to find time for these exercises.

      Delete
  7. Ahhhh, I recognize all of those glute exercises you are doing. I know them well from my own adventures in physical therapy! I try to strength train at least twice a week these days, but am hoping to bump it up some more during the dead of the winter. It's a tough balance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to focus a lot during the summer since I wasn't running that much. I still have to keep up, probably 5 times a week for strength training.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear this. But sounds like your right on top of it and know exactly what you need to do.
    I rarely do any strength training after a run, probably a good idea for any runner to look into. My sister does it on a constant basis and she's remained more or less injury free even during high intensity training months. So I think your smart to work that back in again more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works too. The 3.5 miles was awesome, and I felt good the whole time. Having pain again at the end of a 3.1 run was a check point.

      Delete
  9. If those exercises were already starting to ping you, strength training will definitely help. Add in those unilateral exercises that I posted a little while ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The exercises are still good, but I'm always looking out for more. I need a variety to keep things interesting, and I'll search for your post for new ideas.

      Delete
  10. Your post reminded me that I need to get back to basics--those clamshells, supermans, and lunges are homework I've been neglecting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may be basic, but they're mighty. If I'm out of ideas, I always do the basics.

      Delete