Monday, October 10, 2016

Monday Musings 10/10

Happy Columbus Day?  I don't know, but I don't get the day off.  It would be nice to because this weekend was busy.  I missed my run on Saturday due to errands and such, so I pushed it to yesterday, along with normal errands, hitting up the wine store, getting my flu shot, and hanging out with friends.  It was a busy two days, and I want one more day to sleep in.  And my arm hurts where I got the shot.


Saturday was an early start and I didn't stop the first time until noon.  My car had its first oil change, for free, and there's been some rattling going on in the trunk, and the they figured it out... it's the tools in the spare tire compartment.  Great to know it's not the car itself, but now it's annoying.  Why should I keep the tools in there if they're rattling?  I don't know how to change a tire, I can't budge the spare tire for the life of me (I've tried), and I have Triple A.  If it keeps up, I'm going to wrap everything in that compartment in bubble wrap.  I want QUIET!


The rest of Saturday was low key, and I made an apple pie.  I've stated before I'm not a pumpkin person at all, but I love apples.  I bought 3 different apples, and made a pie.  I also bought vanilla ice cream because a hot slice of apple pie plus ice cream is heaven!  I watched the first half of Pride and Prejudice because I'm trying to save my Halloween movies.  Between what I have, and Netflix, I think I'll be good for the month.

Sunday I finally ran outside in some great fall weather.  It was in the high 50s when I started my run, which was about 8:30 in the morning.  I'd watched about an hour of the Chicago marathon during breakfast, and with all the different races going on this weekend, I had to get outside too.  Some of my cousins were doing the Army 10-miler, so I was in the spirit.  I ended up doing 3.1 miles, which is short of what I wanted, but my hip ended up being tight, with affected my ITBand.  Boo!  But it was 3.1 miles, and I'm still getting used to the outside terrain.  I hadn't been doing some hip stretches either, so that's my fault.  I can't help but look at the pain-free 3.5 miles I did 10 days ago, but I have another month to complete my virtual run.  It won't break my heart if I can't yet do 4 miles by Election Day, but I want to try.

Saw this guy at the end of my run
I wrapped up the morning with my flu shot.  I know 3 people who were sick last week, but one ended up being a sinus infection.  I don't care.  Obviously the fall sickies have started, and since I work at a university (petree dish), I didn't want to wait until work is offering them, which is Oct. 31 and Nov. 1.  Too late in my opinion.  My arm hurts this morning, but that'll wear off.  When I got home, Allie grabbed the grocery receipt out of my purse and started playing with it.  She has all the toys in the world, and she wants a grocery receipt??


The afternoon was spent with friends, playing Secret Hitler.  It was the first time I played the game, and you need a minimum of 5 players.  The group grew and shrunk, and there's a different variation of the game, depending on the number of players.  I think we played close to 3 hours with so many different rounds.  Not something I'd say in real life, but the "Fascists" have more fun in the game.  They have an advantage and know who the other Fascists are, but those who get a Liberal card don't know who's Liberal and who's Fascist.

And that's the weekend.  Yeah, I would've liked another day off.

Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up.

16 comments:

  1. Looks like a very busy and fun weekend! I've never even heard of the game Secret Hitler. Sounds interesting! I've never gotten the flu shot and (knock on wood) have never gotten the flu. I hope it helps you stay healthy though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky! Most recently I had the super flu two years ago. That was awful.

      Delete
  2. We're working today too. I agree, I could definitely have used another day off. My cats are the same way. They've got a ton of toys but random cardboard or paper, that's exciting to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time she rummaged in my purse, but normally any piece of paper in the open is fair game.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you had a really fun weekend! Great job getting those 3.1 miles, even though you had to cut your run short. I bet it was fun watching all the marathon runners!

    Your apple pie looks amazing! I like to eat them but have never tried to make one! I never heard of Secret Hitler, sounds like a game my bf would love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Secret Hitler is fun. It's strategy and trying to figure out your allies. We ended up playing 3 hours and didn't know it was 3 hours

      Delete
  4. Apple pie? Yes please! I'd love to bake one but I'd be the only one here eating it and that wouldn't turn out well so I'll live vicariously through you! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a simple recipe for the apple mix, but buy the crust. I don't have the patience to make it.

      Delete
  5. I'm planning to get a flu shot this week as well. Im glad you finally have some cooler weather there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still swinging a little, but it feels like fall. I loved running outside Sunday, it was almost perfect.

      Delete
  6. Yep. I would have liked another day off too. I'm pooped after my wild weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some schools were out, but not my university. Come on! One little day before Thanksgiving wouldn't hurt.

      Delete
  7. That's funny about the car rattling! I hate a rattle too and I'd throw them out myself! Butttt then my hubs would fuss at me. Bubble wrap sound like a good decision!
    Secret Hitler? Humm going to have to google that one! Is is a board game??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I should keep the tools, but I'm not a car person. Triple A exists for a reason.

      Delete
  8. Which Pride & Prejudice? The BBC version or the Keira Knightly one? It's one of my all-time favorite movies. I was in line at Target yesterday for a flu shot, but the girl in front of me was taking forever. I bailed. Thanks for linking, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BBC one, and that's my favorite. I struggle reading Jane Austen books, but the BBC production is great.

      Delete