Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Bucket List Bolder Boulder

Today's TOTR is about bucket list races, and I signed up for one when I registered for the Bolder Boulder.  When I registered, I thought I'd be buying airfare to fly up and stay with my parents.  Easy for a trip that doesn't involve a hotel.  But now, I've got big news that means getting to the BB will only involve a car:

Yes, after reading that Lora moved, and Heather is moving, and Kristy moved to start grad school, I'm finally announcing my plans to move too.  I hadn't said anything yet since I was waiting until I told friends and family in Dallas, but I'm moving up to Boulder.  Allie and I will be mountain girls, and Allie will gain two stepbrothers (my parents' cats) who aren't tough at all.  They're marshmallows, but I love them and miss them.  It'll be good to be back with family, but I'm going through phases of being sad that I'm leaving because I have a great group of friends here :(


This certainly wasn't an easy decision because part of me isn't ready to leave, hence being sad.  It's not like when I fled left Boston, but it'll be good to be closer to family, and it's time for a change.  I knew, deep down, when I started looking into getting certified two years ago, I'd most likely have to leave the university if I got certified, and that meant leaving Dallas.  Since my parents moved to Colorado in spring 2014, I also knew, most likely, I'd be heading up to the Denver area.  My mom's been trying to get me to move up there the past two years, and she's very happy.  It'll be nice to live somewhere that has 4 seasons again, and be able to do stuff outside in the summer.  Heck, I could even learn how to ski, which would be very entertaining at least. 

I'm currently applying for jobs in Colorado, hoping to have something in place before moving up.  If I get something early, great!  If not, I'll be moving up before Christmas since I've set mid-December as my deadline, and I've already contracted with movers.  I've thought about all of this since maybe March, after I got back from Boulder after my grandmother's health scare, but I didn't make my decision until late July or early August.  When my dad was here in September, he took some boxes up that I had already packed, but I still have much more to go.


There are certainly things I'll miss about Texas, but the time has come to move on.  I didn't know anyone in Dallas when I moved here, aside from my paternal grandmother, and I'll know more people in Colorado.  Plus I'm already a runner, and I can reach out to the running community, not to mention Oiselle.  I'll definitely reach out to the Colorado nest when I get there.  Moving is scary, but I have a plan, and a support network that's already in place.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.  

22 comments:

  1. Wow, congratulations on the move! It's definitely nice to live close to family. I've only lived in Philly as an adult since leaving my hometown, so I can't imagine such a large move. I hope it all goes well and you find a great new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The job part is stressful, but I have connections and even short term work would be good.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! That is so exciting! Moving close to family is always nice. I have heard wonderful things about Boulder. And it is a great running place. You will fit right in:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I already know of a couple running places I can go to. I can't wait.

      Delete
  3. Congrats! Having a support network already in place is a huge advantage :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. I struggled a little bit when I first moved to Dallas because I didn't know anyone :/

      Delete
  4. How exciting! I'd definitely be down with a move to CO. That's so great you've got family and friends already there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents have been trying to get me to move there, but I wasn't ready to move out of Dallas. Now I am.

      Delete
  5. That's awesome and very exciting! Best of luck to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm excited, but scared too. I know what I have here, and it's hard to move.

      Delete
  6. I just loved Boulder when I was there this summer. It seems like such a beautiful and happening town to live in. We are moving this weekend too (right down the street) but wow I am exhausted. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed being there last summer, and seeing people doing stuff outside without melting. It'll be nice to be able to train in the summers again.

      Delete
  7. How exciting for you! New places to explore and run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it's Boulder. Can't get better running than that!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on all the excitement! Everyone that I know who has been to or lives in Boulder freaking loves it. Maybe I'll invite myself over :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I'd love to meet up :)

      Delete
  9. CONGRATULATIONS, Lesley!!! I've known many people who have gone to Colorado to visit, or for vacation, and then didn't come back. =) I think you are going to love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to warm up to the idea, but I wasn't ready to leave Texas. I am now, and it's the next adventure.

      Delete
  10. Wahoo!! YAY!!! I love Colorado and you will love it there! So excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait. Since my parents moved there two years ago, it's been more fun to visit.

      Delete
  11. Sorry I am so late getting back to comment. I actually read your post last week in class, but my phone doesn't let me comment.
    Congratulations on your big decision, changes can be hard but sometimes they are the best thing for us to do. You never know what this move could bring "awesome" into your life.
    Very cool, your cat will have new family too!
    I think you'll love Boulder, I've only been there once, but it's beautiful. Yes, you'll definitely have to take up skiing, or if you enjoy hiking I highly recommend snowshoeing, that's one of my favorite winter sport activities!
    So excited for you, very awesome!!! Congrats on the decision!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still sad when I tell friends I'm moving, but they get jealous when I say "Boulder." I have a feeling they'll want to visit.

      Delete