Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Any Remaining Goals?

It's amazing how fast we're going through October, but that also means we're getting close to the last day for the virtual run I signed up for.  Honestly, I don't know if I'll complete it.  I didn't sign up for a physical race because I didn't want to deal with the pressure of needing to be ready, and I'm feeling the same way with the virtual run.  With everything going on with my decision to move, packing, and my quick trip to Boulder, I'm feeling OK with not making it to 4 miles.  I got to 3.5 miles a couple weeks ago, and I'm getting more consistent with building mileage closer to the 5k distance, and yesterday I did 3.25 on the treadmill.  I'm enjoying October.


I'm fine with not meeting the virtual run goal too.  Most of the time, I'd be freaking out, but I know these races have a good benefit, and the proceeds for this Election Day run is the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund.  Just like my DNS with the Wounded Warrior 10k in 2013, the funds are going to a good charity, and I'm more than happy to consider the registration fee a donation.  If I get a good run and get to 4 miles, great, but I'm not going to force it.


My post on finding balance says it all.  I'm still heavily focused on strength training, and I'm dealing with that persnickety hip flexor I tweaked in July.  It pops up on occasion, so I need to focus on getting that to fully heal too.  I signed up for the virtual run because I was feeling a little antsy, but I'm not going to force it like I would in the past.  I have to control the competitive streak that I have, and take care of my body, so I'm ready for the Boulder Bolder.

Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.   

19 comments:

  1. Boulder Bolder would be way cool!

    I haven't DNS'd yet, but when it's for a good cause I'll usually sign up even if I think I won't make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of felt that way with the virtual. If I did it, I'd be around home, and if not, it's going to a good cause.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely you do need to take care of yourself. That is the hardest part. I'm liking my strength training and running schedule but it can all go to hell in a short period of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly difficult to balance everything. I think I have a good plan in place, but we'll see.

      Delete
  3. I know it must be disappointing about your virtual run but I totally agree - best not to push it! Still rooting for your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the 4 miles was do-able, but it's still been fun to build my mileage. Hopefully more consistency will help.

      Delete
  4. You have lots going on right now (when are you moving?) that it's probably okay if you don't meet your running goals. You need to take care of you and running will be here next year! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movers are coming for my furniture Dec. 17th. Less than two months to go.

      Delete
  5. You have lots going on right now (when are you moving?) that it's probably okay if you don't meet your running goals. You need to take care of you and running will be here next year! -M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Virtual races are nice for those times when we are not 100% committed to racing. You have alot of other stuff going on so do what is right for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't find a race I wanted to do this fall that didn't involve traveling. now with the crazy heat wave, I'm happy I didn't commit to anything.

      Delete
  7. You're definitely on the right track in doing what's best for your hip! Sorry about the virtual race - I like they way you're looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd normally be flipping out, but I'm not. Is that a sign I'm maturing as a runner?

      Delete
  8. Virtual races are a great motivator, especially when its difficult to get to a traditional race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or none appeal to you. Maybe that's the issue though, I'm not motivated to get up and do a race in person.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you're being wise and listening to your body. That's the beauty of a virtual race. Not as much pressure to get it done at a certain time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have until Election Day, so who knows, I could get it done. Not that I'm looking forward to that day...

      Delete
  10. I have had to re evaluate some of my running goals too lately. It comes along with the territory doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. I don't set goals at the beginning of the year, but that does let me gauge how I'm feeling for something like a race during the year.

      Delete