Tuesday, October 25, 2016

A Do-Over

TOTR is about a race you'd want a do-over.  I really would have to choose the Eugene half, but change my training.  If I knew then what I knew now, my strength training would've been quite different to try to avoid my battle with ITBS.  If I knew about Pure Barre, and doing body weight exercises correctly, and if I knew my body was out of alignment and to get a chiropractor, I'd say everything in that training cycle would get a do-over.


I thought I was doing training correctly since I didn't have an issue during my first two half marathons, but the Eugene half proved me wrong.

Speaking of strength training, I had my annual exam yesterday, and I've gained 4 pounds.  I'll attribute that to my strength training because I know I've gotten stronger.  I had another 3.5-mile run last week, without Rock Tape this time, so I know I have to be getting stronger.  The best part is my clothes still fit, so it has to be new muscle, right?


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.   

14 comments:

  1. Yes to more muscle! Hindsight is 20/20 right? When I had ITBS threatening, I was clueless and ignored the twinges. Until I felt like I got shot in the side of the knee. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even get a warning, it was bam! Right in the side of my right knee. I trained and ran through it, so made it worse.

      Delete
  2. We all wish that we had learned about cross and strength training earlier--you aren't alone in that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was doing a good job with the weight machines, and it came out of nowhere.

      Delete
  3. Definitely muscle! I went through that at the beginning of marathon training this go around. I couldn't figure out why I was gaining weight! But when my clothes still fit I was very happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little surprised, but then realized I've focused so much on strength training and boosting muscle growth this year.

      Delete
  4. Every time I gain a few pounds I always think it is muscle. It is a good way to think, especially if the clothes still fit, or even better, if they are loose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not loose, but certainly not tight. I think that's why I was shocked because nothing indicated I had gained weight.

      Delete
  5. I've learned so much about my weight this year and that the scale doesn't matter. It can be hard though, because when I was growing up, the scale is all I cared about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scale is not our friend, for sure. I don't have one and only get weighed at my doctor's.

      Delete
  6. Hey- no rock tape is a good sign! keep hitting the weights, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still use Rock Tape, but now I might start weaning myself off it on shorter runs.

      Delete
  7. Yes definitely muscle! I stopped weighing myself and just go by how my clothes fit me-liberating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I was shocked. My clothes weren't tight at all, and everything felt the same.

      Delete