Friday, October 7, 2016

5 Strength Exercises

I've made no secret of all the strength training I've been doing this year.  Despite all the progress I made with Pure Barre last year, I was still in dire need of PT help when I was training for Tink.  After the race, things winded down, and I focused a lot on the strength training aspect since it was getting really hot outside.  When the AC was out in the fitness room while the leasing office was going through renovations, not a whole lot of running was done.  Here are some exercises I've been doing frequently:

1) Squats (and one-legged squats)


2) Bridge (and one-legged bridge)

3) Dead lifts (and one-legged deadlifts... see a pattern?)

4) Side lunges

5) Pure Barre at home


Pure Barre at home and in the studio allows me to work on a total, or sections, of my body to compliment all the PT exercises I do.  I have 3 full workout DVDs, and I have 2 DVDs that are broken into 10 minutes segments.  In fact, the second disc arrived yesterday, so I can't wait to see what's different from the first one.

These aren't the only exercises, trust me.  I do a series of clam shells, leg lifts while on my side, forward leg movements, bird-dog from yoga, and other balance techniques.  My balance was awful, and still kind of is.  The one-legged exercises focus on balance, and also lets me focus on that one side without the other side helping it cheat.

I've also gotten ideas from the elite athletes I follow on Instagram.  I see their short videos of their exercises and think "I could do that!"  My brain gets away from me at times.  Sadly, no, not even close, but it's nice to see them wobble while doing balance exercises too.


Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!  

10 comments:

  1. I haven't been doing any one legged versions of these exercises but I should probably add that into my routine too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite wobbly, but I keep doing them to improve my balance.

      Delete
  2. Love these! I have on my list to try barre... I did it once years ago and it was a good workout so excited to see how I like it now that I'm in better shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell in love with Pure Barre during my first workout. It's tough, but exactly what I need.

      Delete
  3. I've been doing the strength training at the gym but NEED to start doing more at home cus I can feel some pain starting up again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt a little bit of pain too on my Sunday run :( I unexpectedly took 2 straight rest days, and I'm sure that didn't help.

      Delete
  4. I was doing SO WELL with my strength and then I totally overdid it with squats so I haven't done any this week. Whomp whomp...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Careful! I've overdone stuff too, in my exuberance to fix things. I hope the soreness is better.

      Delete
  5. My coach gives me a ton of strength training to do, in fact, we do a strength cycle once or twice a year where I lift insane amounts of weight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some weights to add resistance, and I've been trying to come up with ways to up the challenge. Maybe weights is the way to do it.

      Delete