Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The Hardest Part About Running

Is it cliche to blame the weather?  I live in Texas, but it still doesn't make it any easier to run in the summers.  The hottest time of day is when I get home, so I certainly don't want to run outside in the summer.  It's not just the summer though.  This was 3 days before the official day of Fall:


The cold front finally came through this weekend, but no outside running either because it was 99% humidity, and a downpour.  It's definitely a struggle to run outside in Texas because there's a very small window in spring and fall before summer or winter comes in.  It's why I love being outside when I travel elsewhere.  Even DC didn't feel bad compared to Dallas summers, and it was a lot of fun being at a baseball game, and walking to the zoo.

Now that it's finally feeling like fall, I hope this weekend will be more favorable to run.  I'm still doing maintenance with strength training, and I see my chiropractor tomorrow.  Last time I saw him, my low back and hip flexors were tight.  How did I manage that?


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.  

18 comments:

  1. It definitely sounds like you have tough weather down there in Texas! Fingers crossed for this weekend for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels better after the cool front, but summers are rough.

      Delete
  2. I can't begin to imagine how you Texans run outside in conditions like that. I ran a few times in Dallas and it was hot but tame, but I don't remember what time of year it was. Hope that cool front sticks around awhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't run outside :-p I knew I'd have to adjust and use the treadmill a lot when I moved here.

      Delete
  3. Hope you can have more favorable weather to run this weekend!
    99% humidity does sound awful especally since it was near 100!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 99% humidity and 100 degrees were different days, but still miserable.

      Delete
  4. I always complain about the weather here because the summers are so humid and our winters are a mess. But we do have decent fall and springs. Hopefully you get to enjoy some fall weather soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the weather's nice, it's great, but it's such a small window.

      Delete
  5. Totally not cliche to blame the weather. I always do! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to the blame the weather, but I don't do well in the heat, and it's HOT in the summer.

      Delete
  6. I definitely think that this is valid! Talk to me in Jan/feb about the hardest part of running in Chicago--you'll be happy, and I'll be dying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet! I lived in WI for 3 years and the winters were tough, but I was 9 and 10 so I didn't really care. Layer me up and I'd be outside for hours.

      Delete
  7. Dang, that is super hot! I'm glad that the heat waves we had in Philly are finally over and we are FINALLY in fall mode! Hope things cool down for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Fall is finally here. That also means high in the 80s and then 70s. It certainly swings but it's cooling off!

      Delete
  8. Running in the heat is very challenging. Although I would take that any day over the cold. Hopefully cooler temps will be coming towards your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like Goldilocks and I want my weather just right. Lows in the 50s without any wind, but warm enough I can still wear a tank top.

      Delete
  9. I hate running in the heat, can't handle it! So I feel for you with Texas' weather :) I live in Belgium, so I guess I'm pretty lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I melt in the heat. I actually prefer running in cooler weather because I heat up while running, but lower temps means I don't overheat.

      Delete