Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Running Advice

What's the best advice you've ever received (or given) with long distance training?  I admit, growing up, I never followed advice because I'm too stubborn for my own good.  However, when I started this whole running thing, I had a lot of people I could turn to, especially to my parents.  They were good though and let me come to them with questions.  Knowing me as well as they do, they knew unsolicited advice would still receive an eyeroll.


The best advice they gave me was run your race, and when you get to the race, it's like a final exam.  You've put in all the work, so don't sweat the race.  I never looked at a race like an exam, but they had a point.  Months of hard work and dedication, even at times when you wanted to skip a workout (class), you still do it.  Tapering is now the reading period, but I certainly didn't come up with any phantom injuries during the reading period.  A head cold, sure, but no phantom pains.  Then the final exam and you're done, just like a race. 

And then I take a break.  I have to.  The last piece of advice was listen to your body.  My body can't do race after race, and I mentally need a break too from a rigid-ish schedule.  Just like a semester break :)

Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia

16 comments:

  1. I had never thought of a race like an exam, that's a great analogy! And I'm with you on needing a break after a big race too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always need a break. If I feel like running, I will. If I want to sleep in, I do.

      Delete
  2. Listening to your body is great advice. It's hard to do when your mind wants something else or when the comparisons start coming around - but it's amazing what the body will tell you if you are willing to listen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to learn to listen to it too. I spent enough years in high school and college playing through injuries.

      Delete
  3. I can totally see the comparison of a race to a final exam! Both make me nervous...lol. I do enjoy the race regardless of performance, a final exam not so much..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still sweat after an exam, until I get the grade. If I like it, I can relax at that point.

      Delete
  4. What a great comparison and so very true Lesley! I think learning to listen to your body is essential to stay healthy and injury free while running! Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had enough injuries too that I respect my limits now.

      Delete
  5. That's a perfect analogy. Your folks are pretty smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it that way but it makes perfect sense. I even take a huge nap after a race like I did after finals.

      Delete
  6. Totally run your own race! That's interesting about the final though... but with a race you can't cram. A final you totally can. Shhhh... I swear I never did that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can cram for a race, I just wouldn't recommend it :-p

      Delete
  7. Good advice, I like that!
    I've had similar from my dad, all the training is the hard work and the race is your reward for putting in that hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. A race shouldn't be stressful, it should be fun.

      Delete
  8. Yep I definitely agree. I think by the time the race comes around you just have to remember that you put in all the work, and its time to make your victory lap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! The race is the fun part, and the reward.

      Delete