Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Post-race Rituals

Today's TOTR topic is post-race rituals (or long run rituals).  Anybody have a must-do after their race?  I always celebrate somehow, but it may not always be the same way to celebrate.  After my last two half marathons, I made sure to get a pedicure, because my feet needed recovery just as much as my legs did.  I put my feet through a lot when I was training for half marathons, and I'm sure they appreciated the TLC.


It's always easy to chose a food to celebrate with, and since I was at Disneyland for Tink, what better way to celebrate than with a Dole Whip?  I also know what time the Tiki Hut opens... 10am.  Yes, I was hovering, but when I heard the opening time, I went on the Haunted Mansion and Winnie the Pooh before doubling back around for a Dole Whip.  I'm not going to get this at any other place than Disney and the actual Dole Plantation on Oahu.


I also end up napping, not only after a race but after a long run.  I wake up early on Saturdays and between that, running, and errands, I'm tired after lunch, and a full stomach makes for a wonderful nap.  Just watch my family's cats.  They eat, they nap.  If I'm at home and not on a racecation, Allie will curl up with me, anywhere I'm napping.  If she fits, she sits.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia

12 comments:

  1. Yum, I love Dole Whip! A pedicure is a great idea :) I've been going with post-race brunch as well as a massage sometime in the week following the race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes get a massage, but it's a recovery massage and not as relaxing as a spa massage.

      Delete
  2. Napping is definitely a ritual for me after a race. I really love going to brunch and getting a big meal and I usually have a beer or mimosa to go along with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do brunch often, so when I do, it's fun. I could eat breakfast any time of the day.

      Delete
  3. DOLE WHIP!!! One of my all-time favorite Disney treats, post-race or ANYTIME!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a post-race treat. Disney has good options.

      Delete
  4. How have I come this far in life without a Dole Whip? They look amazing! I'm a huge fan of post-run foot pampering. I've got pumices and cooling gels, you name it. We earned it, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went years without knowing about the Dole Whips. They're a great treat if you love pineapple.

      Delete
  5. What is a dole whip and why haven't I had one?! Need. ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a soft serve type treat churned from pineapple juice. The tiki huts are in Disneyland and WDW Magic Kingdom. And I think at the Polynesian.

      Delete
  6. I'm all about celebrating a race with food. Call me crazy, but I'm actually not a Dole Whip fan. Gasp, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! That's fine. I love EPCOT too for post-race treats. An adult beverage is also a great way to celebrate.

      Delete