Thursday, September 15, 2016

Music in this World

This post is inspired by Monday's viewing of the AFI Lifetime award, for John Williams.  TCM had a John Williams night, and re-ran the show from this summer.  They said John Williams has been nominated for 50 Oscars for his work, and it's amazing when you take the time and look at his body of work.  Not just his compositions, which are incredible, but he also conducted the music for movies like Fiddler on the Roof.

Of course I've made a John Williams playlist, but think I need more.


When I think back about movie soundtracks, there are 3 people/groups that I think have influenced me the most.  First, growing up on classic Disney, was the Sherman Brothers.  They didn't do just Disney either, but also Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Charlotte's Web.  "A fair is a veritable smorgasbord orgasbord orgabord After the crowds have ceased."  (You're welcome.)

Next, came the Disney renaissance, which means Alan Menken and Howard Ashman.  Even now, I keep finding gems in Ashman's lyrics, which make the songs brilliant.  He put in all these layers so everyone, no matter their age, could enjoy the songs.  I also love the scores to Disney movies, thanks to Menken.  When D23 had a songbook concert with Alan Menken and Richard Sherman in 2013, I would've given ANYTHING to have been there.  At least their parts are on youtube.


Then came John Williams's music.  As I got older, and my parents thought I (and my attention span) could handle more complex movies, they started with Star Wars.  Even if I don't care for a movie, the score stays with me.  I mean, we all know most Star Wars fans don't like Phantom Menace, but I definitely have "Duel of the Fates" on my iPod.  It's a GREAT song to run to.

Anybody have a favorite composer or group you could listen to all the time?


Thinking Out Loud with Amanda.

6 comments:

  1. John Williams is a musical genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is! They said this was the first time the AFI went to someone not an actor or director. He deserves it.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe I have never heard of him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's done so many movies, I bet you've heard the music. ET, Harry Potter, and Hook too.

      Delete
  3. Oh Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, I introduced that movie to my niece a few months back and we sang the song for days together, LOL
    Gotta love the classics!
    Can't say I have a certain composer I could listen to over and over, but I do enjoy some of the classics on occasion.
    John Williams is an incredible I think it's awesome you sit and listen to his music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes for fun playlists, and it's fun to listen to his music when I'm driving to/from work.

      Delete