Tuesday, August 23, 2016

TOTR: Race Swag

If you've been running for a while, chances are you're saving some of your goodies to remember your races.  If not the actual race gear, then perhaps some of y'all collect certain things at expos like wine glasses, shot glasses, magnets, etc.  I save my bibs and medals, maybe a heat sheet if they're being given out.  Someone suggested using the heat sheets as a Christmas tree blanket if you have animals.  My mom has a wonderful tree skirt that she stitched, but cats = claws, and even if they don't pick at it, our cats shed.  A lot.


Since I have an office at work, I split my collections between work and home.  The medals stay at home and work has the bibs, which have been talking points.  We even had a state auditor in a couple years ago, saw my collection, and said she was running Princess that coming February.  There's even a runner in the office suite next to mine, and he and I talk shop when we can.

The other collection I have, and am saving, are the race shirts.  I wear some race shirts, but not all.  Once I feel I have enough, I'll send them in to be made into a quilt.  There's only one or two that I actually wear, and the rest sit in the dresser, waiting for the light of day.  I'm very picky about my running gear, and I don't end up wearing race shirts to workout in.  Weekend getups, yes, but no workouts. 


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia

17 comments:

  1. I don't wear many of my race shirts for working out either...I'm also very picky on the fit, and most event shirts are very unflattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are, and because I don't know what the cut will be, I don't know what size to order. Since I don't wear them, it's no big deal if they're too big. More space for the future quilt.

      Delete
  2. Ooh... that's coll you have the bibs at work! I went to an eye doctor once that had a bunch of RnR bibs on his wall so we had a great discussion about running. I'm saving race shirts for a quilt too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a great conversation starter, and they decorate the otherwise empty wall in my office.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love how you put the bibs in a frame. I need to remember that.

    I also agree: some of the nicer shirts I keep, but wear on the weekends... not to work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll wear the nicer shirts when I travel, when I'm doing errands, or if I'm just being a slug. They're comfy and that's all I care about on the weekends.

      Delete
  4. How fun that you keep your bibs at work. What a great conversation starter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I find out who's a runner in this building, and when we're separated by office suites, it's nice to have a connection with someone.

      Delete
  5. I like your bib shadow box. I have always wanted to get one done for my Boston 2 Big Sur medals and bibs but still havent.I would love to have an office to be able to display my things at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michaels has a lot of options. I'm not creative so I only stuck with bibs to create a collage, and the poster frame is perfect.

      Delete
  6. I like that you split your swag up between home and work. The framed bibs look really nice! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was framing them individually, but it looked better with all of them together.

      Delete
  7. Great! When you can harmonize between work and running. So good! Glad to hear your sharing! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool that you were able to strike up a conversation with an auditor over your race memorabilia!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, but she's still an auditor. Means more work for me, but at least we could talk about something other than work.

      Delete
  9. CUTE! I love the frame that's hanging in your office! What a fun way to remember the races you've run! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a poster frame from Michaels. The individual frames I had for each one weren't working, and weren't quite straight on the walls. This is easier.

      Delete