Friday, August 5, 2016

The CU Tradition

I won't be blogging much next week since I'll be in DC, then on a staycation.  I'll be reading blogs though so I will be commenting between the conference sessions.

Since today marks the official beginning of the Olympics (since soccer already started), I wanted to have a little fun, since there's a lot of cynicism, from me as well, about athletes not being able to thank their sponsors (rule 40), to corruption in Brazil, the Russian doping scandal, etc.  I wanted to write a fun post about the great tradition of the University of Colorado at Boulder and their Olympians from cross country and track.  There's a lot, not just in track and field, and you can see the whole list here.  My dad's a buff, and I love visiting Boulder.



The CU track and field alumni going to Rio are Emma Coburn, in the steeplechase (and she holds the American record in the steeplechase), and Jenny Simpson in the 1500 meters.  They both also competed in London.

Oiselle fans will recognize Kara Goucher and Shalaya Kipp, who are also CU alumni, as well as Kara's husband, Adam.  Adam represented the US in the 5,000 meters in Sydney, Kara ran the 10,000 meters in Beijing and the marathon in London, and Shalaya ran the steeplechase in London.

Dathan Ritzenhein has represented the US in 2004 in the marathon, and 2012 in the 10,000 meters.


Going further back is Mary Decker, who tangled with Zola Budd in LA in 1984, causing her to fall off the track.

I'll do an honorary Boulder shout-out too to Frank Shorter.  Frank went to Yale, but he has become such a staple in the Boulder community, and co-founding the Bolder Boulder.  Before Meb medaled in the marathon in 2004, Frank had been the last American to medal in the marathon distance, winning gold in Munich, and silver in Montreal (and the gold medal winner in Montreal probably doped).


Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!  

16 comments:

  1. I didn't know Frank was the last one before Meb to be medaled for the marathon distance. He had quite the streak going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up, gold and silver. I can't wait to see what Meb can do.

      Delete
  2. I was just listening to a podcast this morning about rule 40 and the Russian doping scandal. Lots of controversy for the Olympics this year :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sadly. There's always controversy, but I feel like this year's there's so much more.

      Delete
  3. Rule 40 is ridiculous. Hope you enjoy DC! :) Let us know if you'd like to try and meet up with some of our Volee gals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to see other businesses putting up a fight. What do you do when it impedes the first amendment?

      Delete
  4. I am excited to watch the olympics too! Have a great time in DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've been catching bits and pieces between the sessions, and I like what we're doing in swimming so far.

      Delete
  5. Have a terrific trip to DC! Can't wait to hear more details!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have some pictures, and I'm going to a Nats game with family.

      Delete
  6. I don't get any of these rules. Why can't they thank their sponsors? Ugh. Have a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The IOC and USOC say it's to protect their sponsors, but my cynical self believes it's to protect the IOC and USOC portion of those sponsor funds.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yeah, stuff like that is why I can be so cynical :-/

      Delete
  8. How did I not know that Kara went to CU?! I love her!

    ReplyDelete