Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Summertime Blues

There's nothing like a Texas summer to put a damper on training.  I haven't been motivated to do much beyond 2 miles at a time, but I knew what to expect heading into the summer.  Even my PT said it last Thursday at my dry needling appointment.  It's hard to stay motivated when the heat beats you down just walking from a building to your car.  It has been that bad.  Luckily, we're under rain chances all week, and the temps this week are supposed to be at least 10 degrees cooler than normal.


I haven't even been motivated to look at fall races.  I know if I chose a fall race, even a 5k, I'd have something to train for.  I can't bring myself to do even that, not even virtual runs, when I can do them on the treadmill.  My running's been rather sporadic, to say the least.

My feet haven't been helping, whether they're tight or tired, I don't know which.  I know it's not PF because the tightness I feel is happening at all times of the day, and it moves around to different spots.  Then, this morning, I woke up to what feels like a deep blister on the very edge of my heel, not even on the bottom.  I can even feel the heat on that spot compared to the rest of my heel/base of the Achilles.  I have such good runs, then need to take time off to rest something.  I know, I know, the hip flexor was completely my fault on the slip and slide, so I'll own up to that ;-p


Just to make sure this post isn't all about me complaining, I did get a good dose of motivation Sunday and yesterday.  Between the US women all finishing in the top 10 of the marathon, and Emma Coburn winning bronze in the steeplechase, these races are getting me fired up to run.  Today will probably be the same since we've got the women's 5k heats this morning, and the 1500m finals tonight.

Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia

18 comments:

  1. The heat really does make it difficult to stay motivated! The gym and getting up early have been the only ways I'm dealing with it. I didn't know the 5k heats were this morning, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the whole early morning runs a few years ago and it never stuck. I started hitting snooze, which I don't do for work.

      Delete
  2. I think Virginia is way hot, I'm sure Texas is even worse. I have been having a hard time motivating myself to grt out there and run too. I got up this morning at 630 to go then I decided to go back to bed.....haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see once I left DC, the heat settled in. At least it's normal in Texas and every place should have central AC.

      Delete
  3. I understand the lack of motivation during the summertime heat. It's hard to train for, or even think about signing up for, the fall races when the months before are so brutal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I signed up for a couple small races last year, but that was in the spring before the heat hit.

      Delete
  4. Seriously, this summer up here in the northeast has been almost as bad as a TX summer! In fact, Mr. Judy said one of his friends said how nice & cool it was -- far cooler there than here!

    I reminded him that we will be far cooler than you guys soon. All too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been amazing this week. It fooled me yesterday because it looked so cool, but we do have humidity. I think it's from the system that slammed Louisiana.

      Delete
  5. I too am SO inspired by the Olympics. But I've been staying up way too late and I pay for it in the morning. The heat is definitely wearing on me as well. Ugh. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was staying up late in DC watching some of it, but thankfully track is done at a reasonable time. I turn the TV off after that, otherwise I'd get sucked into watching way late.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you've got some runner's fatigue. Also, the heat and humidity are sucking all around so know you're not alone. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's not bad runner's fatigue because at least part of me still wants to run. It's just tough balancing things once I get to August.

      Delete
  7. That heat just does suck the life out of you! I have not been motivated much to do more than a few miles at a time either and then I am soaked to the bone in sweat! It's fat crying right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally got more Nuun to help with the sweating. I feel so gross after even 2 miles.

      Delete
  8. The heat has been killing me this summer too!Hoping for an early fall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope when this cooler weather heats back up, it stays in the 90s and we're done with 100s. Pretty please.

      Delete
  9. Its definitely hard to stay motivated in this heat! Hopefully it cools off a bit for you this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cooled off but it's so humid. We finally got some good rain yesterday, with more on the way today.

      Delete