Thursday, August 4, 2016

Running Intervals

On Tuesday, I did something I haven't done in a super long time.  I threw my run/walk intervals out the window and just ran.  I don't know if the intervals are hurting or helping my IT band, but I had noticed that sometimes, I just want to run (cue Forrest Gump).


I decided to run until I felt good and ready to walk again, and I ended up doing two miles, and I only walked the first minute of each mile.  I might've done more, but both my hip flexors were protesting, so I wrapped it up with that.  Not bad since I've been doing intervals for so long.

I haven't been as diligent with my hip flexors and I should be.  I'm diligent with every other strength exercise, so what gives with my lackluster effort in that regard?  I'm not sure, but I have to make it a priority.  I do an exercise with my ankle weights, and I can take weight out and do more reps, or put weight in and do fewer reps.  I wasn't surprised that my right one protested since it's not fully healed from the slip and slide party, but my left?  Noooo!

I gotta work on those because I do want to try this again, and go more than 2 miles.  This is where my music really helped.  It seemed like I would run 4 songs, then I could walk a minute to start the next mile.  I just kept thinking "keep going until the end of this song", then I would push that to the next song, and the next.

That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama

If I can keep doing this on the treadmill this summer, hopefully I can apply that to running outside.  I didn't even need my Rocktape Tuesday, and my knee behaved.



10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good run until your hip flexors started protesting. I was working on eliminating my intervals but then the Summer heat hit and I added them back in. I'm looking forward to working on it again when the temps cool down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to eliminate them completely, but I'd like to do better than 1/1 intervals.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on being inspired to throw out the run/walk intervals and just run! That's a huge step!!! Music is such a great way to boost the workout, too. I often tell myself to just keep going until the end of the song, too. Or if I'm ready to stop and a good song comes on, I tell myself, "You have to run to this song, too!" and keep going. All hail to Forrest Gump!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forrest Gump is great when talking about running. I just wanted to see what I could do and just run.

      Delete
  3. We know better but why it is always so hard to keep up with the things that eventually help us in our running? When you figure this out let me know! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I know how much of a breakthrough this is for you because I also felt the same way. I really struggle with the run/walk method. I know I can run without it but I am afraid to. I was doing 4 miles straight there this spring but anything more I feel my IT band will get cranky. I just don't know if it's worth it to me. -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very aware of my ITB because it was cranky last week. It held up quite well for those two miles.

      Delete
  5. Good for you to run based on feel. I too run using intervals, and very infrequently stray from them. Like Meranda said, I'm afraid to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been playing around with my intervals since I'm not training for anything yet. I'm dong 1/1 right now, but want to run longer for each one.

      Delete