Friday, August 19, 2016

Olympic Friday 5

Now that track and field has been going on for a week, what excitement!  I'm loving every minute of it, and there's been some really good USA surprises.  These are just 5, but there are so many to choose from.


1) Our 3 marathoners finished the women's marathon 6, 7, and 9.  It was a tough race with the heat, but every one of them did so well.  I even read had it been a cross-country meet, we would've won as a team.  That's consistency, and improvement from past Olympics.

2) Emma Coburn and Jenny Simpson both became the first USA women to medal in the 3000m steeplechase and the 1500m, respectively.  I watched the steeplechase live since it was early and work was very quiet.  I had to keep from yelling at my computer as Emma overtook the runner in 3rd place and held on to win the bronze.  I was out during the 1500m final, but was following compulsively on Twitter as the race was being run, then I watched the replay on my computer when I got home.

3) Kate Grace!  The 800m final has yet to be run, but Oiselle's Kate Grace is in the final to represent the US.  The 800m final is tomorrow night, but I've been sweating it out with all the flock when Kate's been running.

4) Mo Farah.  Who collides with a runner, falls to the track, practically rolls back up on his feet, then wins the race?  Mo Farah, that's who.  I do think luck was a little bit on his side since the collision happened early in the race, and he had the energy to get up and keep pace with the leaders and find his stride again.  Whew!

5) The USA swept the podium for the women's 100m hurdles.  I watched the race live and while we knew right away Brianna Rollins and Nia Ali were first and second, we had to wait to see who came in 3rd, which was Kristi Castlin.  It's the first time ever the USA swept the podium.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Evan Jager winning silver in the men's steeplechase, and today is the women's 20k race, and Sunday is the men's marathon.  I'm tired just reading what's left.


Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?! 

12 comments:

  1. I wrote about the Olympics today too :) It's the first Summer Olympics since I started running so I've really been enjoying the track events. I had never even heard of steeplechase before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad loves the track and field events so I've been watching them since I can remember, but this is the first time I can live stream without commercials.

      Delete
  2. The fact that they can get over that hurdles at all . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'd crash into the hurdles. I'm not coordinated whatsoever.

      Delete
  3. I'm loving it too! The TV at home has been glued to the same channel since the Olympics began. I'm going to be sad when it's all said and done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I needed a couple TVs when the events were in full swing. So many channels, only 1 TV and one computer.

      Delete
  4. I have been watching the track events too. Those runners are just way fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing and exciting. I really got interested when T&F kicked off.

      Delete
  5. The hurdles were the best and I didn't even see it! 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the sweep for the 100m hurdles, but missed many others. All the events are incredible.

      Delete
  6. so many fun moments from the Olympics track events! This weekend was even better, whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought we did really well on the track this year. Lots of medal firsts or medals after a long drought.

      Delete