Monday, August 15, 2016

Monday Musings 8/15

I'm back y'all!  I survived the conference in DC, then I had two days of staycation.  August 31 is fiscal year end so I took the extra two days as vacation time to recover from the conference and get ready for year end.  There's a big push every year to get as many expenses as possible to hit the ledger, and there's a rush to get last minute expenses in.  Even after the cutoff, we still have more expenses than normal to approve because during all that, the semester starts and payroll needs to be approved for student workers.


DC turned out to be a lot more fun than 2013 when I was last there for this conference.  I have family in the area and I reached out to them that I was going to be in town.  Best idea ever!  After checking in to the hotel Sunday and walking to the zoo, seeing the pandas, and walking back to the hotel, I navigated the DC metro out to Pentagon City to have dinner with the cousins.  Then on Tuesday we went to the Nats game.  I hadn't been to a baseball game since 2006 in Houston, and it's much more fun in person than watching the sport on TV.  I also found out these cousins are runners too!  A bunch of them (and more than I saw this trip) are doing the Army 10-miler in October, and they've done multiple ATMs before.  3 of my mom's cousins were in the army, and one of their daughters is married to an army guy in the field artillery.  I'll definitely be watching Facebook for pictures of the race :)


I got back home Wednesday, picked up Allie from the vet, and the staycation commenced.  I owed her lots of snuggle time since I boarded her, and she doesn't hold a grudge for long.  Her normal routine after vacation is to run around the apartment to check on things, and make sure they're where they're supposed to be, all the while fussing at me.  Thursday was lots of snuggles around my dry needling appointment, quick stop at the grocery store, and another errand.  I made sure to tell my PT about the tendency of my calf to knot, so I had dry needling along my IT band and that spot on my calf.  It's high up, almost near the knee,  so I'm not sure if it's connected to the IT band or something different, but I felt the needle working.

It also felt a little like Christmas Eve on Thursday since Olympic track and field started Friday morning.  So far I've watched the men's 800m heats, the women's 1500m heats, the women's 10k, the women's marathon, the men's 10k, and the women's steeplechase.  Whew!  I've also decided to stick with the live streams because at least they didn't have commercials during the marathon coverage, and hey, it stayed with the marathon!  Imagine that, NBC (nothing but commercials).  And no sob stories.  I just want to watch the race, is that too much to ask


The marathon did inspire me to my best run since Tink.  I played around with the intervals to 2/1 and did 2.35 solid miles.  I felt good, then I felt tired and hungry.  Damn the Olympics, I wanted McDonald's.  I caved because I knew I'd just cave eventually if I didn't do it yesterday, so I got a happy meal and it hit the spot.  Happy, Olympics?

17 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a fun time in DC! That's cool that it turns out your cousins are runners too :) I've been watching the Olympics on NBS but pretty annoyed at their coverage. I haven't given the live stream a try yet but I may try that tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying the live stream so much more.

      Delete
  2. I think any sport you watch is always better live. Baseball games are always fun. Sometimes when I am driving long distances McDonald's seems to be the only restaurant off the exits so I allow myself a happy meal to. Hey portion control right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I don't need the calories in their adult sizes, so a happy meal does it pretty well.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you made the most of your time in DC. I love that city but haven't been there since I ran MCM back in 2012. I love travel but it's always sad to board the dog. In another life I need a tiny "purse" dog I can take everywhere. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta tell you, Marcia, even with small dogs, you still can't take them everywhere and I still have to board them! Although Lola will come to the Cape with us (if everything goes okay).

      Delete
    2. Allie definitely makes me feel guilty. She looks at me with this pitiful look like "what did I ever do to deserve this?!"

      Delete
  4. I am not a burger person, never was. But I do like McDonalds salads. Still, I only do fast food when we travel.

    How great to find cousins with similar passions! My cousins are all much older than me. I don't think any of them were runners (although one was extremely athletic, but he was more into skiing and golf, I believe).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go with chicken nuggets from McDonald's because I don't like their burgers. I never have either.

      Delete
  5. Glad you had a good time in DC! The Olympics definitely are inspiring. I actually don't really like fast food at all any more. Sounds like a good way to celebrate the Olympics though if thats something you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect product placement. I don't normally eat fast food either, and I hadn't had McDonald's since last year. Once in a while doesn't hurt.

      Delete
  6. I loved the marathon but oh the commercials! I think NBC loved it too because there was plenty of time to load up the ads. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I switched to the live stream. I realized they weren't showing commercials there, so I could watch everything that was happening.

      Delete
  7. It's hard to watch the marathon and not get inspired, don't you think? Great week and I'm glad things went well for you in DC! It sounds like a fun trip! If I ever got to visit I don't have real family there but there are so many blogger friends I'd love to reach out too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could've met up with some bloggers, but I was super busy every single day. Work-cation never leaves much time.

      Delete
  8. I sadly missed the marathon as it was during move-in time for my college son. And yes, I completely forgot to DVR. It's great you got to connect with your cousins in DC. Maybe you can plan to go back for a DC race! I'm glad you enjoyed the trip and staycation. Thanks for linking, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that would be nice. The MCM 10k is on my bucket list.

      Delete