Friday, August 26, 2016

Friday Five 8/26

It's Friday!  I don't think I'll ever not be happy when Friday rolls around.


My new shorts came!  I ordered a pair of compression shorts from Oiselle because I really needed a new pair.  My current pair is form college (yes, they're still working, in one piece), but i knew I needed to replace them eventually.  The new ones came yesterday, passed the "30 minutes on the treadmill" test, and they're a keeper!  They're exactly the length I wanted too, which I was very picky about.  I have soccer thighs, and even body glide doesn't help.

Since I needed to test out the new shorts, it also meant I was able to get another run in during the week.  That hasn't happened in quite a while, and maybe my motivation funk is passing by.  I hope so.  Running's always been my stress release, so getting to run twice in one week, and not yet at the weekend, felt good.  I know I need to get consistent, and I hope I can get there.

I do have to admit, I've completely failed at keeping up with yoga.  I always try, but eventually fall off the wagon.  What I have started doing is my own stretching routine.  I have no particular order, and some stretches aren't done every day, but there are a number of stretches I do hit every day after my workouts.  I foam roll, and might even shower to get the muscles loose, but I make sure I hit all the major areas, from hamstrings to hip flexors, to inner thighs, to the IT band.  I make the time to do these stretches and I don't have to worry about routines.  If people say stretch, I'm stretching :)

The ones I make sure I hit are ones I've done in PT, and then some great yoga poses like:
 * pigeon
* low lunge, then stretch the quad (like in Pure Barre)
* sitting twist
* I've seen some different names, but I call it firelog
* Seated forward bend, both legs together, then separate
* I'll also do frog, but not every day

Now that I have this routine, it's easier for me to stick with it.  I was even doing it in the hotel room in DC. 

Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?! 

20 comments:

  1. I agree, I think Fridays will always make me happy :). And I love pigeon pose, it hurts so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. That's a pose I need to hold for a while since it hits so many muscles.

      Delete
  2. Yup Fridays are always a reason to be happy! I really gotta learn these yoga poses (or at least the names of them..lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look them up too. Thankfully there are many websites that can help.

      Delete
  3. I think almost everything I start I eventually fall off the wagon with . . . some I get right back on, and others fall by the wayside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoga falls by the wayside and dies. I'm never good at keeping up with it, even when I know I should.

      Delete
  4. Its all about finding a routine that works for you! Glad you figured out a way to get it in. And the shorts look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shorts are great. Two runs now and they're fabulous!

      Delete
  5. I miss yoga too! I wish they offered classes here where I live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I cancelled my gym membership, it was either DVDs or studio classes. I tried DVDs but never keep up.

      Delete
  6. Dig. Those. Shorts. I was supposed to do yoga tonight. Fail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shorts are great. They're exactly the length I wanted, and they're so comfortable.

      Delete
  7. Glad you found poses that you like! It's helpful to mix it up--just like anything--to avoid your body getting used to those particular poses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still do a lot of the same poses because I need to stretch those muscles. I actually think my lower back is benefiting the most from all this.

      Delete
  8. I do like those shorts! I don't do yoga but I am committed to stretching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stretching I can do. I don't need to remember a routine, and can do the stretch throughout the day/evening after work.

      Delete
  9. Wait what's the 30-minutes test? Do you do this with all your new running clothes? What if they don't pass -- return? I feel like I need to jump on this bandwagon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my "I'm dong a 30-minute run, how will these do?" test. They also did great during my 30-minute run today too.

      Delete
  10. those stretches sound amazing - I'm going to have to try a few! Hope you had a good weekend!

    We are going to the Dallas area over Labor Day weekend. Any idea for a good Labor Day race? I did the Rangers race last time and am thinking of running it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good race. I don't really know what's around that weekend since I don't normally do much. I like to relax all 3 days :)

      Delete