Thursday, July 21, 2016

The Sports Bra

Today's post is about sports bra.  I watched this short video from 30 for 30, and was fascinated by the evolution of the sports bra, and realized how right they are.  Title IX and the sports bra revolutionized women's running.  We had the means with the Title IX, but the girls still needed some type of support.

I also happen to be waiting on my latest purchase from Oiselle.  Anybody else talk the tracking number multiple times a day to see when it'll be delivered?


And speaking of sports bras, has anybody else realized how complicated some companies have made sports bra shopping?  I know a sports bra fitting is just as important as a shoe fitting, but the science has turned shopping for sports bras into a convoluted mess.  I want small, medium, and large, or 2, 4, 6, etc.  I don't need special sizes for each bra size.  I want simple shopping.  My poor mother had a nightmare of a time shopping at her LRS maybe last year.  They were getting her sizes to try on, and the sizes were a WTF kind of thinking, and she left the store.  I don't shop at my LRS for bras anymore because of that.  I know what I wear, and I can find it online.

If I'm buying from a new-to-me place, I order what I think will fit, and if it does, stick with it.  My companies are Oiselle and Zensah because they absolutely work, and they keep it simple.  I don't want padding either, even if it does stop the headlights.  I couldn't care less about those.  Padding gives me shape I don't want while running, and y'all, it's hot in Texas.  That extra padding doesn't provide any kind of breathing and I end up a (more) sweaty mess.

What I look for in a sports bra is: 1) simple buying, 2) style - since some styles chafe and others don't, 3) feel and material for wicking sweat, 4) colors, and 5) impact protection.

Message to bra companies: please keep it simple!


Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!  

17 comments:

  1. OMG I So agree with this and keeping things simple! Some companies use cup size and some use s-m-L and some I don't even know what they are using. I just bought one the other day and I was in a Large!!! ( I never wear a large).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stay away from certain companies because they really complicate matters. I know what I wear, I should be wearing that.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, sports bras can be the devil for sure!

    Except I actually do like the padding and I do care about the headlights (which can usually be seen on me even with the padding).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the "rule" is replace every year but I don't do that. If they're still working, I still use them.

      Delete
  3. I love the handful bras, my Brick Betty bra, and Target C9. All price points, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like finding great sports bras. One less thing to worry about.

      Delete
  4. My favorite sports bras are still the original Champion (not the C9 found at Target). The originals give me the support I need and never bounce. They're not always easy to find. I won a free bra fitting at Title Nine but I haven't heard anything from them. I could really use it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to wear Champion, but the last Champion bra I bought was a no-go. The color was great but it was too tight and the devil to get on.

      Delete
  5. Just wore my new gifted verra bra this morning. I'm so happy that Oiselle has finally made bras for girls w/big boobs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see they're adding and listening to customers. Lots of choices makes it easy.

      Delete
  6. finding a great sports bra is so clutch. i have small boobs (proudly!) and Lulu's Free to Be Wild bras work so well for me, as i prefer to have thinner straps/not too much material. also love a New Balance one i have, and Calvin Klein makes these crop top sports bra/shirts that are so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally didn't realize i wasn't naming myself here! :)

      Delete
    2. I'm small too, so I don't need a lot on the bra, but it still needs comfort and support.

      Delete
  7. I so agree with you! I get catalogs with pages and pages of bras and I just skip over it. I like what I like and stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! There's no point in me deviating because it won't work.

      Delete
  8. Amen, sister!!! No padding, please. I just want a simple, uniboob sports bra. Old school, if you will. Is that so hard?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shape may be old school, but I love the material used these days. I'm sure my old bras weren't cotton, but they didn't wick.

      Delete