Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Summer Runs

Today's TOTR topic is scenes from summer running.  My long-time readers will know I take summer as an off-season because it's too hot to stay motivated the entire summer.  Throw in little air movement in the fitness room, and I just don't want to.


Instead, I use the treadmill.  I don't consider it a dreadmill like I used to.  I knew I had to make peace with it when I moved to Texas, and I've been fine with it.  I did go a little bonkers when I had 10-mile and 11-mile runs on it, but you do what you gotta do.

I try to keep my intervals fun during the summer.  Since my base pretty much stuck around during the month I took off after Tink, I can play around with the running interval, either time or speed, to change things up and not get bored.  If I did the same run over and over, then I would get tired of running inside.  The key is to keep it fun.  I'll put sports on the TV to keep me motivated, and I've even watched marathons and triathlons (thank you NBCSports!).  It's easier to keep going when I'm watching other people bust ass in their competitions.

Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia

10 comments:

  1. I don't get how people just use music on the treadmill. I must be watching something & even then it's pretty boring, but I'm thankful that I have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use both the TV and music. My senses can multitask while I run.

      Delete
  2. We're opposite -- I do the treadmill in the winter! And I can do just music, too! Sometimes running on the treadmill with earbuds in and music blaring is the best way to go. I don't get to listen to my music very loud when I'm on the road so I take advantage of the safety of being indoors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the treadmill in the winter too. Texas can get plenty cold, and we do get ice storms. I'll wait for the sun though if I think I can get outside.

      Delete
  3. My weather threshold for running outdoors has gotten narrower and narrower over the years, so I've learned to appreciate the treadmill, too! Sometimes I'll run with music AND watch TV on closed captioning. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So has mine. I think back to my running in high school and I could stand the heat much better.

      Delete
  4. Yes to the treadmill- it's never been a dreadmill to me. Once I realized I had AC, a fan, and Netflix, I was SOLD. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled with the treadmill in high school, but I realized it's a positive necessity here.

      Delete
  5. Kudos on the treadmill! I am still working to find my love for it. I just read about a cool app that helps you build interval workouts and keep it interesting, it's called Skyfit. I haven't tried it yet but can't wait to see what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely play around with my workouts to keep them fresh. And if I feel like not running, I'll take a rest day.

      Delete