Monday, July 25, 2016

Monday Musings 7/25

Happy Monday y'all.  Before I start, remind me why I live in Texas again?


This was yesterday's temp, and Saturday's probably wasn't far off that either.  We are now moving into the worst part of summer.  It's this hot for the rest of August, and my poor head thinks Labor Day is the day things start cooling off.  Boston, yes, Dallas, no.  Not until Columbus Day.  I'm going to struggle.

I had another busy weekend, and took the days off from running.  My hip flexor is still recovering from the adult slip and slide party last weekend, and I tweaked it Wednesday on my run.  Message received.  I'm going to take a couple more days off before I try again.  And I really want to run to test out my new sports bra.  It came Saturday and while I did try it on, I haven't had a chance to try it out.


Saturday I had Pure Barre before another BBQ, but this BBQ didn't have a slip and slide.  It's amazing how much the weather can change in a week because I stayed inside.  Between the heat and the bugs, I was happy to stay inside.  I made the same pasta salad I made last week because I still had the ingredients and I decided I needed to use up the rest of that particular pasta.  The recipe's pretty easy, and it was a hit at both BBQ's:

boil pasta
combine 1/3 cup vegetable oil with dill, 2 T lemon juice, and salt and pepper.  Mix with the pasta.
Add tomatoes and chopped chives

Pretty simple.  It can be served cold or at room temperature.


Sunday, 3 of my friends and I went to see Tarzan.  Yes, I saw it already, but I enjoyed it and didn't mind going to see it again.  I got to enjoy the theater's AC, and Cinemark's been adding lounge seating, which is awesome!  Well, except when you're sitting near an antsy kid who keeps playing with the controls of his chair.  I kept hearing the lounge chair opening and closing and his mother trying to get him to stop.  Just take him out of the theater to prove a point!  Good thing I'd seen the movie before.

And to wrap up, did anybody see what the IOC declared regarding Russia and the Olympics?  Basically they passed the buck onto each sports' international federations to determine which Russian athletes are clean, and the athletes not only have to prove their clean but provide proof from reliable labs.  All within now less than 12 days before Rio starts.  I could say it's a start because I half expected the IOC to throw the IAAF under the bus and allow all Russian athletes to compete, T&F included.


Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up.

16 comments:

  1. It doesn't cool down by you until Columbus Day? Wow - that heat really does have some staying power!!! Hang in there, my friend!!!

    I wish your hip flexor a speedy recovery! And I've been there before with kids misbehaving a movie theaters and other events. So frustrating! In those instances, it IS a REALLY good thing when you're already seen the show before.

    Craziness on the IOC and the Russian athletes! And I can't believe the Olympics start in less than 12 days!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed, and it's rough because Fall should start in September. That's the way it should be.

      Delete
  2. I do not miss TX in the summer. Although we're not that far behind you -- no actual heatwave, but plenty of days that have gotten up to 90 -- which is unusual up here.

    I used to call it reverse cabin fever when we lived there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss being able to be outside during the summer. Even in the evening it's too hot.

      Delete
  3. I shouldn't whine at all about our little heat wave here in the midwest, should I? LOL

    Don't even get me started on the doping thing. I'm so disgusted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The IOC doesn't want to be the bad guy, so even though they're supposed to handle it all, they don't want the responsibility.

      Delete
  4. I hope your hip feels better soon.
    Real feel here today was 113!!!!! Not even kidding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! The 110 yesterday here was bad enough.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad I'm not in TX in the summer. Today the east coast has gotten the brunt of this heat wave and I can't imagine this all summer long. Keep cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been back in TX for now 8 summers and I don't think you ever get used to it. Just live through it.

      Delete
  6. I saw Tarzan a week ago, and really loved it! All the theaters by me have converted over to the leather lounge chairs, sure they charge a bit more for it, but they are so comfy it's like being at home watching a movie, I love them!
    Sorry about your hip, hurting myself doing something fun has been the story of my life, so I feel your pain there. Heal quick!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I tweaked my hip having fun. I can laugh at it.

      Delete
  7. I feel you on the heat. It's always hot and humid here in summer but the weekend's real feel of 113 was ridiculous. I wish I'd rented one of those inflatable slip & slide things for the kids' party. Then again nobody would set foot outside. Hope your hip feels better. At least you have a fun "war story" for it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't as hot last weekend, and the water on the slip and slide felt wonderful.

      Delete
  8. Although we will still have high temps in September, the dew point will start dropping so that the mornings aren't so miserable. That's what I'm looking forward to! I hope your hip is better after the slip n slide. That is a cute bra. I have yet to go to a theater with the lounge seating. Thanks for linking, Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't been to Cinemark between Star Wars and Tarzan. I'd heard about the seats, and they're great.

      Delete