Monday, July 11, 2016

Monday Musings 7/11

I want to start my post today by saying happy 88th birthday to my grandpa.  Below is a picture of his 80th birthday trip, when my family took him to Paris.


I also want to thank those who commented on Friday.  It's tough to process these kinds of things, but Dallas is standing together.

I had another relaxing weekend, but it wasn't as lazy as last week's 4-day weekend.  I had to work Friday so I didn't get any errands done to free up my Saturday.  That's OK.  I did finally get to my LRS store to be fitted for new running shoes.  I don't know if the new padding will help my bruised heels, but it couldn't hurt.  I needed new shoes anyway.  I may not be close to 300-500 miles, but I've always been rough on shoes and need to replace them more frequently than that rule of thumb.  I've heard not so good things about the next model in Asics, so it was time for another proper fitting.

The sales-lady measured my feet and put me more at a 9 instead of a 10, where I was years ago, but it also depends on the shoe model.  Apparently some Brooks run big, other brands small, other brands at the 10.5 I've been wearing.  It all depends on the shoe.  I don't seem to over-pronate as much as I used to either, so she brought out different models that I haven't worn before.  Instead of the Brooks Adrenaline, she brought out the Brooks Ravenna, which I'd never considered before, as well as the New Balance 860 and Asics GT, just so I could feel how the 4's felt.  It really was a toss up between the 860 and Ravenna's.  The Ravenna 10.5 was too big on my foot, but the 10 was much better.  I compared that to the 10.5 860, and the 860 was just a hair better on my foot.  Now I get to test out the new shoes and see if they are a good fit.


And honestly, the minute I stood up in the GT 4's, it was a solid nope.  Not only is the toe box much narrower than the 3's, which I had been warned about, they run small.  The 10.5 I usually wear was way too small, with my big toe right up against the edge of the toe box.  WTH Asics?  At least there are other shoes comparable to the 3's.  I feel like Sheldon, his spot is his constant, and my running shoes are my constant.  Don't mess with a runner's shoes, just don't.


I'm slowly adjusting to the new shoes since they're much more stable than the GT's.  My feet feel like they're being held more in place than they have in a while, and I haven't even switched out the inserts for the SuperFeet ones I have.  I may not need those inserts, to be honest.  I did 20 minutes on the treadmill Saturday, and completed my Sunday errands while wearing the shoes.

All without Pokemon :-p

I did finish watching the track and field trials, and I think I'm looking at T&F withdrawals.  The past 10 days have been great watching our Olympic team finalize, with elation, drama, and devastation.  Since the Olympics will happen during the day, I have no idea what I'll be able to watch, and what I can get with my DVR.


Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up.

18 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your grandpa! It nice to see he's still traveling in his 80's.

    Finding just the right shoes can be such a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He still talks about his trip to Paris. My parents took him all over France.

      Delete
  2. Ha... I just downloaded Pokemon Go over the weekend and it sure did increase our walks with no purpose :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have an issue with it, but I was seeing a lot of postings from my friends and I'm over here twiddling my thumbs.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday to your grandpa! Sorry about your shoes but I'm glad you found something that will work for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they'll work. I'm letting my feet adjust, but they're not that different from the Asics with SuperFeet I was wearing. Just a little more in place.

      Delete
  4. I have never been an Asics fan, but I do like both Brooks & NB. Everything changes all the time though -- it's sooooo annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feet love Asics but they've proven that I can't trust them. One model's great, the other's not. Grrrr.

      Delete
  5. I love my Asics Gel Nimbus. I've been wearing them for years and years! I hope they never change them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky! I was wearing the 21xx series that morphed into the GT 2000s, and it was not a good transition.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to your grandpa! I can relate to your shoe struggles. I hope you like the ones you decided to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're certainly pretty ;-) Thankfully my LRS gives people 30 days and if shoes aren't working out, we can return them. Good thing I'm sticking with the treadmill right now.

      Delete
  7. I've been enjoying the Olympic trials too, between that and the Tour De France, I see no other need for any TV, LOL I can't wait to the Olympics, I could watch them non stop, just love them!
    Yay on the new shoes, I absolutely hate when they change up a model, if I owned a shoe company I would never discontinue the favorites I mean nothing worse than when they do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was watching the Euro tournament with the Olympic trials. I really didn't need anything else during the week nights and weekends. Both are over so now what?

      Delete
  8. I think getting sized and fitted every few years really is a must. I too was in a more supportive shoe when I started and now I can run in neutral to light support. I like the Ravenna's and have worn these too!
    Happy Birthday to this special man in your life!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it was time for a fitting since I needed to go with a different brand. I hadn't gotten properly fitted for a couple years.

      Delete
  9. Buying new running shoes is so much fun! I hope you enjoy your new 860s. I'm still a Mizuno fan. I've heard a lot of good things about SuperFeet insoles! Going to Paris with your Grandpa must be such a special memory. Thanks for linking, Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very fun night walking around with him. I was in Paris with my cousin, and we were flying out the next morning, but at least I got to be with my grandpa his first day in.

      Delete