Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Choosing a Race

Good morning and happy Tuesday!  Did everyone have a good holiday?  I'm skipping the weekend recap because mostly I was a slug this weekend, but I did get to a painting class, and I went to see a movie.  Both were fun, and I was able to enjoy someone else's air conditioning.  You know it's summer in Texas when the prime real estate spots are those in the shade and not close to the building.  And I snagged a partially shaded spot at Cinemark.  Score!  Plus, I did lots of Olympic trials watching.  It was so much fun until the women's 800 meters last night :(


Today's TOTR topic is all about choosing a race.  I don't really have any method of doing it, but the factors I use are location, price, and yes, bling.  I'm not ashamed to admit I do choose races based on bling.  That's I how I chose the Tink 10k, all because I wanted that medal.  Bling isn't a deal breaker, and a lot of times I know local 5k's won't offer it, but I did get some bling at the pumpkin spice 5k because the 10k and 15k races had the same medal.


When I'm looking at local races, I'm looking at the towns they're in, is it easy to get to, and is there ample parking.  Race day logistics consume me more than they should, but I like it when there is plenty of parking and it's easy to find.  I don't want to stress about getting stuck in traffic, having to circle to find a spot, and then get stuck heading out.  I also look at what the race is benefiting.  Sometimes it's a food pantry, sometimes is a police and fire fund, sometimes it's an animal shelter.  I like doing races I know will benefit the community, and I like it when the people putting on the race know what they're doing.  We have some pretty good organizers in Dallas, and so far, the races haven't disappointed.

Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.  

16 comments:

  1. Yea, no fun stressing about a race even before getting to the start line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll also choose a race on packet pickup location. If it's close to work or home, I'm in.

      Delete
  2. Nothing wrong with wanting good bling! For me I really like to run different courses and see interesting sights! I also do like when the race goes to a good cause, especially the smaller races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like local races since they can get me to places I haven't been before. DFW is huge.

      Delete
  3. I definitely look at location and price. These races can add up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they can. I wish I could do all the races but my budget begs to differ.

      Delete
  4. I definitely look at what charity the race is associated too!

    I'm not really that much into bling, I mean, I do like my medals and a really cool one is nice, but it's fairly far down on my list of things I consider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind smaller races if they don't have bling. I don't do 5k's normally for a medal, but the pumpkin spice advertised it for all races.

      Delete
  5. I am so with you on race logistics. I pay more attention to that now after several bad experiences. I'm enjoying the smaller races more than ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I don't like bad experiences. I hate to think I'd miss the start because I can't find the site or find parking.

      Delete
  6. I definitely pay attention to race logistics too. I actually don't look into a medal before a race- I guess its a nice surprise when I see it at the finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some races say they have a medal, but don't post a picture until close to race day. If I'm doing a race for fun, with friends, the medal's a plus.

      Delete
  7. Race logistics are HUGE. I've been to a couple with super complex logistics, and it was so stressful. I missed the Olympic Trials - now I need to go back and find out what happened at the 800 meters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are plenty of highlights, but the women's 800 meters was devastating. It's surprising that I haven't seen runners fall more often in those kinds of packs.

      Delete
  8. The Olympic Trials have obsessed me too! So awesome- and then not- to watch them, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. Track and field doesn't get much attention, and I'm doing everything I can to add my viewing to the ratings.

      Delete