Wednesday, June 1, 2016

What I Made: Buffett Tailgate

This might be the first time I've done a WIAW inspired post, and I'll put a little spin on it.  This'll be for the food I made for the tailgate since people were asking what my pictures were.  I made a shrimp recipe, inspired by a mass email from Margaritaville, and key lime bars from Martha Stewart.  If I'm at a Buffett concert, I gotta have key lime bars since Jimmy started this whole empire in Key West.  The graham cracker crust makes these bars.


The recipe I used for the shrimp can be found here.  I found it last fall when I was looking to make something similar to jerk shrimp, but a little different.  I finished it off with pineapple chunks, white rice, and the cheddar biscuits from Red Lobster, since they sell the mix.  I liked it, and only omitted the curry powder from the marinade since I didn't have it.  I didn't miss it either.  The mass Margaritaville email had their jerk shrimp products on chunks of pineapples, held down by tooth picks, so that's what I created with this recipe.  Jumbo shrimp, marinaded for 30 minutes, and cooked in batches so the shrimp would cook evenly.  Cut up a whole pineapple, get tooth picks, and voila!

These were very popular at the tailgate, and they didn't last long.  I did save 5 for me for a dinner later since I had 5 leftover after a full tray had been done.  5 wasn't enough for me to bring out another tray, and I didn't want to waste them.  Leftovers for dinner!


The key lime bars come from a recipe from my Martha Stewart cookie book, but can also be found here.  I did not make the whip cream, but I bought some instead.  I do make short cuts whenever they're available.  Stores also sell graham cracker crumbs in the baking aisle, so I didn't have to crush up whole graham crackers.  Another short cut :)  If you buy the pre-squeezed key lime juice, this recipe is pretty easy to make.  These were also popular, but I think next year I'll omit these and make more finger foods, like the shrimp dish.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure the concert was a ton of fun! I've always wanted to go to a Jimmy Buffet concert! Love the look of your little shrimp and pineapple skewers. I can't eat shrimp, but I'll have to try it with little pieces of chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the marinade will work well with chicken. We had one guy at the tailgate who couldn't eat them either, but he kept saying he'd eat one. Please don't...

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great spread and perfectly themed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. We also had cheeseburgers and hot dogs, with plenty of sides. All great choices.

      Delete
  3. Yum and yum!! These both sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are. I'm happy I saved a few for dinner last night. I definitely don't miss the curry and think it's a good light marinade that doesn't weigh down the shrimp.

      Delete