Friday, June 10, 2016

Summer Meals

Now that we're two weeks in to June, it's really starting to feel like summer in Dallas.  We had a lot of rain this spring, and this is the first stretch of week where it was dry and sunny all days.  Yesterday was the first day I thought it really was summer, between there still being a little bit of light in the sky after 9pm, to a little bit of light in the sky at 6am.  Plus there was no breeze yesterday so the air was a little stagnant.  Granted, I left my apartment late because of my dry needling appointment, but summer's coming.

That means my mind has shifted from the heavier winter dishes to lighter summer dishes, and lots of time, that means seafood.  I didn't realize how many seafood recipes I have until I was making my grocery list this week.


Shrimp - shrimp is versatile, and I made a corn risotto with shrimp.  I can get the frozen, uncooked shrimp from the store, and thaw them out as I go.  I thawed a full bag of jumbo shrimp for the Buffett tailgate, but normally I'll thaw 7-8 at a time.
  • Shrimp salad with citrus and greens.  Any field greens, plus orange and grapefruit slices, grilled the shrimp after drizzling with lime juice
  • Shrimp pasta salad with citrus.  Very similar, but instead of salad, cook pasta
  • Caribbean island lime shrimp, add whatever you want as a side, fruit, salad, or rice, or all 3
Fish - Since I can cook fish on the stove, it's another versatile option, and there are many options of fish too.  Tilapia, sea bass, mahi mahi, even salmon.

I really try to avoid using the oven as much as possible, and even when cooking in the skillet, limit time with that too.


Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!  

10 comments:

  1. I have just learned to love shrimp over the past few years! I still won't eat it cold though! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love shrimp hot or cold. My parents could always get me to eat it. I still eat them hot in the summer since it's different from the cold salad ingredients.

      Delete
  2. Yes I agree Shrimp is so versatile. I think of Bubba Gump - "grilled shrimp, steamed shrimp...." ok, ok you get the idea. I do love shrimp in fact you've gave me a suggestion for dinner. Enjoy your weekend Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bubba Gump! All the ways shrimp can be cooked.

      Delete
  3. I love shrimp and fish. Apparently shrimp isn't so good for us, though.

    Tell me about your dry needling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything in moderation but shrimp does have Omega-3's, B12, and vitamin D.

      Delete
  4. I've never tried to cook shrimp at home since it's so pricey, but these recipes sound really good! I'm so glad summer is here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frozen bags in the freezer section makes it a lot better. Since I don't use the whole bag, I can make multiple dinners with just one.

      Delete
  5. SPEAKING of seafood and easy meals, these sound so good! I've had needling done before, and it is kind of bizarre, especially if they hit a trigger point. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two needles hit the trigger points yesterday. It's not painful, but it triggers the nerves for sure.

      Delete