Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Race Frequency

Today's TOTR is about races.  How many do you like to run?  I will admit, I don't run that many races, but it's always great to have them on the schedule as motivation.  Even before I got hit with my lovely case of ITBS, I never raced that frequently.  I did a 5k to start this whole crazy thing, 10k the year leading up to my first half marathon since I needed a time for corral placement, then in 2012 I had a half marathon in February, and one in December.  That left plenty of time to unwind, relax, take break, and then start training again.  I did learn a lesson though, since I started training too early for the half in December.  I was a little burnt out by the fall, so I took my foot off the gas and relaxed a little bit more.  I got back into training with a Halloween 5k.


After that was one half marathon in 2013, and one in 2014.  Then I didn't do any races until Fall 2015, and that was 2 5k's.  Now throw in the Tink 10k, and those are my official races.  10 total since starting in 2011, and I think a good showing of different distances.  I don't have a desire to do a full marathon, and I don't know if I ever will.  That's OK.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.  

15 comments:

  1. I agree, it's okay to not want to do a marathon. You really have to want it because (like you said) the training is long and drawn out, and so is the race itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much training, and I don't know if my body would hold up.

      Delete
  2. I've never done a full, either. I have the desire, sometimes . . . not sure my body would stand up to it.

    I race more than some, far less than others, it's really a very individual thing. And I know plenty of runners who never race, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some runners who don't race, and that's perfectly fine. I use races as motivation because I need that at times.

      Delete
  3. Don't say ever! I had said that in the past. I will never run a marathon. And now u have completed ten! Congrats on all the races you have completed so far. Disney ones have always been my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'll ever get the desire, but it could pop up in the future. I'm fine with shorter distances for now.

      Delete
  4. You're absolutely right: it's perfectly ok if a full marathon does not speak to you. Honestly I kind of love when runners ramp up racing and mileage very slowly. The body has more time to adapt. You've run a nice assortment of races!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ramped up mileage very slowly when I was training for my first half. It's also the strongest half I've done and I didn't implode during the last 5k.

      Delete
  5. Nice job on hitting a variety of race distances. No need to take the step up to a marathon unless you really want it. It's hard to fit in the training, so you have to want to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do what I can around work, but I also enjoy relaxing on the weekends. Friends tell me all the time how training for a full eats up all their free time.

      Delete
  6. That's a nice spread of distances and a nice variety of races! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm lucky that DFW has quite a number of races throughout the year, and I can chose a good distance.

      Delete
  7. Wow! A great medal for a runner as you! It is certain that you tried so much. I am also a runner and am trying to improve my achievement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it bad I chose that race to get that medal? I love the medals for Disney's 10k races.

      Delete