Monday, June 6, 2016

Monday Musings 6/6

I'm getting the itch to start running again.  If only the weather will cooperate.  I was all ready to get my first run in on Wednesday, because what better day than now Global Running Day?  I got home from work, I changed into running gear, dropped my monthly rent off at the office, then walked over to the fitness room side, and it was closed due to flooding :(  What?!  There were no details, just that it was closed.  But, I was ready to run.  I guess I wasn't running on Global Running Day then.  I headed back to my apartment and did my strength training routine, which could be longer since hey, no running session.


I did get 20 minutes done on Friday and Sunday, which is all I wanted.  I haven't run for almost a month, and 20 minutes each was fine.  My ITB did feel slightly cranky during both runs, so I'll call my village, aka my chiro's office, and make an appointment for some quick dry needling.  If it's tight from rust, or anything else, it'll be good to get it to release and let me do these easy runs.  I could also check in with my PT since she does the dry needling, and see how this month of training on my own has gone.

I discovered this video from Jimmy Kimmel because Grace Slick was trending on Facebook.  For those not interested in Alice Through the Looking Glass, P!nk covered White Rabbit for the trailer, and frankly I'm really really hoping her cover will be released as a single.  It's not on iTunes yet.  Grace Slick said P!nk has the power to sing this song, which is high praise coming from her.  This would be such a great hill song, what do y'all think?


I've had it at occasional repeat on my comp at work and home.

I finished reading the book I bought, and am ready for the next one.  I have a wishlist going on Amazon, and next up is a novel on Lucrezia Borgia.  The author is one I like to read, and he writes about women that history has painted in not the best light, and he dives into his research to try to figure out what exactly happened.  A lot of times it's a woman in a man's world, and women didn't write history.  Lucrezia certainly doesn't have the best reputation, but is it real or myth? 

Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up.

22 comments:

  1. Oh, that novel on Lucrezia Borgia sounds really interesting! I love that the author writes about women in history to see what the unreported story may be. Who's the author?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW Gortner. I've read most of his books and can't put them down. His most recent one came out last week, on Marlene Dietrich.

      Delete
  2. I too have a list of books I want to get through. I just saw the movie preview for the Girl on the Train so I think that might be my next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep adding more books to my list so I need to get with it.

      Delete
  3. White Rabbit reminds me so much of the 1970s and that movie Go Ask Alice! I was terrified of going to high school when I first saw the movie (I was probably 10) because I thought everyone would make me take drugs! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those books are trippy enough, and the song fits so well with the '60s and '70s.

      Delete
  4. It really sucks when you're all ready to do something and then are thwarted.

    I haven't actually heard of dry needling. Is it like acupuncture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The needles are the same, but the technique is different. It's supposed to hit trigger points and make them ripple to get muscles and fascia to relax.

      Delete
  5. What a bummer that the fitness center was flooded! That is the worst feeling when you want to do something and then circumstances beyond your control end up making you change your plans! Good for you for getting your strength work in, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a downer. I was all ready to start back up, but couldn't that day :(

      Delete
  6. Thats so annoying that the fitness center was flooded! Hopefully you can get back to a routine soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was open yesterday so I got another 20-minute run in. I need that fitness room as summer moves in.

      Delete
  7. Sorry your fitness center was flooded! That stinks... all dressed up and nowhere to go. I didn't run on National Running Day either. It was a rest day according to my plan and I am trying to follow to a T because I like to follow the rules. So I celebrated Nat'l Running Day w/ a post work margarita!

    Girl, I have ITB problems too. :( Succccks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't run the past couple years because I had rest days too. I don't do running streaks either because strength training and rest days are very much needed.

      Delete
  8. Summer reading is my fav:) I only wish I could read more, I've heard about that book I may just have to add it to my list!
    I've been hearing about the flooding in TX, I am so sorry your affected by it. I hope your gym clears out and I hope you don't have to deal with more and you guys can dry out soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flooding isn't bad up here in Dallas, but I do have family in Houston. They need to dry out more than we do.

      Delete
  9. That's like driving to the pool and it being closed due to a swim meet! So frustrating. I saw my PT doing some acupuncture or needling. It looked as if the needles were very thin and flexible. I hope it takes care of your ITB. Thanks for linking with us Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I was all ready and excited to get my first run in, and whomp whomp.

      Delete
  10. Seeing how I do not like needles this dry needling doesn't sound good but hey if it works and helps me to get back to running, I could try anything! Have a great rest of your week Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the kid who would work myself up into a panic attack whenever I needed a shot. I wouldn't have ever believed I'd choose, with pressure, to do dry needling.

      Delete
  11. That stinks about the gym being flooded when you're motivated and ready to go. Don't know if I could handle the dry needling, but if it helps you go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know if I could, but it's not too bad. I figure if I can do it, a lot of people can. The things I do for running.

      Delete