Monday, June 13, 2016

Monday Musings 6/13

This week was still low key, though I am getting running in more often.  I'm still not training for anything, so if I want a rest day, I'll take it.  I still do all my strength training, but now I'm trying to get more running days in the schedule.  I had 2 while training for Tink, now I'm trying to have 3.


I had my very first full dry needling appointment Thursday morning.  The dry needling I got during PT was one needle at a time, just getting my ITB to relax as I worked on building up strength.  This time, it was 4 needles at once, with two hooked up to a stim machine to really work on getting my muscles to relax.  I definitely needed this session because a couple trigger points were quite tender, but I started relaxing after the needle was set.  The one place I felt this the most was actually not the needle at the base of my ITB, it was the needle on my inner quad, down near my knee.  That's the spot I really felt relaxing during the 5-10 minutes I had.  After that it was foam rolling, and I was good to go.

Before the session I did check in with my PT to see how I'm doing on my own.  I am making progress, which was really good to hear.  My glutes and hamstrings are much stronger, and while my hips do have a little give on the strength test, they're also stronger.  My hips are definitely the weak spots, but I'm making progress all around.


The good news about my run on Sunday was my knee didn't bother me, but the bad news is that was a very tough run.  The air was extremely heavy when I woke up, so I knew the run would be on the treadmill.  No problem, summer running means running inside, but I had waffles for breakfast, which was a bad idea.  I felt like I had this brick in my stomach, and I couldn't find a rhythm with my intervals.  I expected this type of run when I started back up, but hopefully that kind is now out of the way for a while, and no more waffles before a run.

I did watch quite a bit of the NCAA track and field championships, and I don't remember them being shown as much as they were this year.  It was a warmup for the Olympic trials, which starts July 1.  Both competitions are held at Hayward Field, which brought back memories of the Eugene half marathon I did in 2013, both good and bad.  Hayward Field is the best track I've ever run on, but I was in too much pain to enjoy it.


Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up.

*****

Sunday: 20 minutes treadmill

Monday: strength training

Tuesday: strength training

Wednesday: 20 minutes treadmill

Thursday: dry needling, strength training

Friday: rest

Saturday: Pure Barre

Sunday: 1.6 miles

22 comments:

  1. Glad your strength is improving overall! Great job this week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was good to check in to make sure I'm doing this right.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that you are feeling better. I'm curious about dry needling. My foot continues to bother me, and I'm starting to feel desperate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find a place that offers it, I'd recommend trying it. I was pleasantly surprised after my first try.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the strength training is going really well! And it seems like the bad runs are always there, but hopefully it will be a good long while before the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully. If it had to do with my breakfast, I learned my lesson.

      Delete
  4. I am also a bit more curious about dry needling. You should do an in depth post and explain what it all means.
    I can definitely relate to the "heavy air" feeling. The humidity has definitely set in here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's normally not this humid this early, so I'm a little worried about the summer.

      Delete
  5. I'm with Wendy and Meranda/Lacey, I would love to hear more about dry needling, too. Is it like acupuncture? Glad to hear your strength training is paying off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get that post going. I only heard about it before actually doing it.

      Delete
  6. I know I most likely wouldn't be running outside if I lived in TX now! So good job on getting out there at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how fast the weather turns here. I'm definitely not running outside for a while.

      Delete
  7. Isn't dry needling so strange? I have had it a few times and it kind of creeps me out but definitely helps. Good job with building up your strength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird in that I can't really look at it. I don't know if that helps, but I can relax during the process by looking at the ceiling.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad the dry needling seems to be working for you. I have a running friend who swears by it. Good for you for focusing so much on strength. A strong runner is an injury free one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that I opted to do this, but it's helping me. I certainly wouldn't opt for needle stuff if it didn't work.

      Delete
  9. It's great that your PT exercises are working so well. The dry needling sounds...intense. But, I'd be game if it did the trick. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to stay away from waffle before a run. Thanks for linking with us Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too bad beyond the trigger point. Once that feeling's gone, I can relax and wait for the therapy to work.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you knee felt good during your run! The PT is paying off! I'm so excited for all of the Olympic trials that are about to take place for various sports and for the Olympics themselves!! The Games are less than 50 days away now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already researching the schedule for the T&F trials. I think those will kick off the Olympic season.

      Delete
  11. Glad that your getting some relief from the PT sessions and dry needling. Nice job with your strength training! I definitely need to focus more on that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking it easy with running since I still need to focus on strength. It's been a nice change of pace.

      Delete