I can't believe it! Two of my favorite things are colliding: the Red Wings have announced the Hockeytown 5k! It's both exciting and sad, because this kicks off the Joe's (Joe Louis Arena) last season before the Wings move to Little Caesar's Arena. It just doesn't have the same ring to it. While I most likely won't be able to go in person, they do have a virtual option so I can still participate and get the shirt, bib, and medal.
The Joe holds so many special moments for me as a Red Wings fan. I know the Wings struggled throughout the '70s and '80s, before the Norris family finally sold them to the Ilitch family. I was 7 when I chose them as my team, and there are so many events since then that stand out:
* Steve Yzerman's goal in game 7, double OT to elminate the Blues in '96
* the Brawl in Hockeytime, '97
* Defeating the Colorado Avalanche to advance to the Stanley Cup finals, '97
* Winning the Stanley Cup for the first time in 42 years, at the Joe, '97
* Winning games 1 and 2 of the '98 Stanley Cup finals, on their way to the championship '98
* Defeating the Colorado Avalanche to advance to the Stanley Cup finals, '02
* Winning the Stanley Cup '02
* Yzerman's retirement ceremony '07
* The 2008 Stanley Cup finals, games 1, 2, 5
* Nicklas Lidstrom's retirement ceremony '14
It's so disappointing I won't be able to physically be at the Joe, but I intend to the virtual run. As a huge fan, I can't pass this up.