Friday, June 3, 2016

Friday Five: Chardonnay

Last Thursday was national Chardonnay day, and even though this Friday Five would've fit perfectly last week, I already had my post ready.  As y'all may know, I'm a wine enthusiast, and I love either deciding on a wine, or dinner, and then pairing it with the other.  It's a challenge I love, and since I love to cook, and cook with wine, it's fun!  Plus, with summer coming, I like white wines to pair with lighter dishes.


I'm very picky about my Chardonnays, and I don't like ones that are heavy, oaky, buttery, or a combo of that.  If anyone has seen Sideways, you'll know Miles doesn't either.

"I like all varietals. I just don't generally like the way they manipulate chardonnay in California. Too much oak and secondary malolactic fermentation."

For those not in the know, secondary malolactic fermentation is a process where lactic acid bacteria is introduced to the Chardonnay, and it consumes the Chardonnay's natural malic acid (which produces the lighter, crisper Chardonnays), and the lactic acid produces the buttery, caramel, oaky taste.  I like my whites light and crisp, so I MUCH prefer Chardonnays that are allowed to keep their crisp taste.


Here are my favorite Chardonnays, in no particular order.  I tasted the Montelena, Rombauer, and Fort Ross on my Napa trip last year, bought a Grgich Hills and Sanford, and was gifted the Buehler. :-)

1) Grgich Hills

2) Buehler

3) Chateau Montelena

4) Rombauer - the heaviest I'll go on the Chardonnay scale



5) Fort Ross

and 

6) Sanford

14 comments:

  1. Well, I don't drink. But I have been to the Grgich Hills Winery. It's very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go to Grgich Hills whenever I can get back to Napa. There are so many wineries out there.

      Delete
  2. I don't drink either but every time I hear the word "Chardonnay" it makes me think of the Holderness video "now watch me sip, my Chardonnay-nay"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard that, I'll have to look it up.

      Delete
  3. I've never tried any of these. I'll have to look for them because I'm not a fan of oaky or buttery chardonnays either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I found out the butter taste is created, and I tried the natural wines, I can't go back. I like my wines light, on purpose.

      Delete
  4. This is very interesting because I typically don't like chardonnays. Maybe I would like the ones that you recommended!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I learned that Chardonnay isn't naturally buttery, I really liked the lighter, crisper ones. I can't really drink heavy ones now.

      Delete
  5. I am not a huge drinker but when I do have a glass of wine, I do enjoy Chardonnay. Have a great weekend & if you want to join our Ultimate Coffee Date link up tomorrow they are lots of fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a glass with dinner, so it's always fun to see what pairs well.

      Delete
  6. YUM I love Chardonnay! Probably my favorite kind of wine. Have you seen the documentary Somm? I think you would love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have, and I watched the show on Esquire last year based on the same subject. It's amazing how much they have to know. I'm over here thinking "it tastes good..."

      Delete
  7. I FULLY SUPPORT THIS FRIDAY FIVE. SO. FULLY.

    ReplyDelete