Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Dry Needling

I've been asked to write about the dry needling technique I've been getting since starting PT.  It started with one needle to try to get my IT band to relax, and I would occasionally ask for one needle at subsequent PT sessions.  The whole concept of PT with ITBS is to gain strength in the hips and glutes, and get the fascia to release at the game time.  In my case, and probably many others, it doesn't release on its own, and that's where dry needling can come in.


For a quick summary of dry needling, you can check out my chiro's office page on it.  The needles that are used are the same as acupuncture, but it's a different technique from acupuncture.  The needle is inserted into a trigger point on the muscle or fascia, and it causes ripples to spread through and relax the the muscle.  I've had the needles inserted along my quad, and near my knee to get both the quad and IT band to relax.  When the needle's inserted into the trigger point, I feel a quick nerve burst, then that's it.  I can relax after that and I do feel the muscle around the needle relaxing.  I don't look while the needle's going in since I'm incredibly squeamish, but each time at PT, it was one needles in a couple different spots, and I felt better running.

This past week, I went for a full treatment instead of the one needle at a time approach.  I definitely needed this check up because two of the points were tight.  I had 3 needles along my quad from about mid-way, down to my knee, then a needle on the inside of my quad, near the knee cap.  Then she hooked up the two lower ones to her mobile stim machine to work on everything relaxing.  I felt the inner quad relaxing more than the other spot, but it was relaxing along the entire leg.  I'd had stim before in college, but that was with pads that stuck to the skin.  The stim does the same thing, to get the muscles to relax.


I don't know which plans cover dry needling, but my plan does cover some.  It's not something I'd do every week, but she said I can come in as needed.  I currently see my chiro once a month to keep up with maintenance, and depending how this results, I may consider dry needling for monthly maintenance as well.  Despite my run being crappy on Sunday, my knee felt pretty good.  I have another run coming up today, which should be oh so much fun.  We are currently getting Houston-type humidity in Dallas, and it's awful.

Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.  

17 comments:

  1. Interesting- I wondered how this worked! I'm a little squeamish myself, so, yeah, I get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been squeamish, so I'm shocked that I'm willingly doing this. I must really like to run.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for writing about this! I was wondering what it involved when I saw you mention it. I'm squeamish as well and definitely get the not looking at it thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's honestly not bad, but I still don't look. It's better that way.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting this. I've been wondering about your dry needling. We have a local office that does it here, too. I don't think I need it at this time but good to know it works in case I have some issues this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering where this technique has been. It has helped to relax my IT band, and may be the last bit that I need.

      Delete
  4. Everytime I have read about someone getting dry needling they have been happy with it. Luckily I have not have that type of pain ever to need that. Glad to hear it has been helping w you so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little surprised, but now I'm a little hooked. It's good to know there's something to still help while I work on strength.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, I had never heard of this. I had mesotherapy done today. Very interesting ! I am going to write about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My chiro's office has been building its services, and it's nice to know I have options when I need it.

      Delete
  6. My plan doesn't cover much. :(

    I go to chiro every other month usually for maintenance. I try to get a monthly massage but I've been putting it off and the truth is I could use one . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could use one too, especially on my calves. I keep putting that off too.

      Delete
  7. Super helpful info! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I hadn't heard anything about its success when I tried it for the first time. I didn't have anything to lose.

      Delete
  8. Super helpful info! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting stuff! Thanks for the information.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it helps. I didn't know much about it until my PT appointments.

      Delete