Tuesday, May 24, 2016

TOTR: Still Recovering

When do you know it's time to get back out there and running?  I've let two days go by in which part of me was saying I should get an easy run in, but most of me is still enjoying the time off.  The weather's been a little crazy, and yes, I'm absolutely using that as an excuse.  Saturday was too muggy, yesterday was too gray.  I can't put it off forever though because next week is June, and June brings heat.  I was running outside before my race, and now I'm going to retreat to the treadmill whenever I find the motivation to start running again.


It's always difficult to know when is good to start up again.  Since I don't have anything on the horizon, I don't have anything to train for.  That does cut my motivation, and quite frankly, I'd been training since January and simply want a break.  I figure the time to lace up my sneakers again will be once I'm clamoring to run.  My body's feel strong, but my mind is still asking for rest.  It's nice that I can oblige and not rush out the door to the fitness room, or I can stay in bed on the weekends, despite waking up early.  It's a nice change of pace, but I know I'll want to get out there at some point.  I'll give myself more time and whenever I want to run again, I'll run again.

Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia

20 comments:

  1. Sometimes your mind just needs a break from running, and it's nice to take some time off. I know I've reached that point before and had the same attitude. I would run when I wanted to run again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My body feels good, but it is my mind asking for a longer break. Training is such a set schedule, it's nice to not have to follow much right now.

      Delete
  2. I think it's important to give yourself time. It is tough to know when to get started when you don't have something on the horizon, and the weather hasn't been too encouraging on my end either! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking at potential races for the fall, but I haven't committed to anything yet. It's fun to look though.

      Delete
  3. I struggle with this as well. My next "big" race isn't till November but I want to be in good enough racing conditions to do a few 5K and 10k races this summer if the opportunity arises!

    I think the run will feel that much better if you just wait till your body is ready. It will be like coming back to something you missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! I kind of wanted to run yesterday, but I yesterday was a full body strength day. I'll see how I feel heading home today.

      Delete
  4. It is so hard to run without a race ahead of me! I think sometimes doing something else entirely is a good plan until your mind and body are ready to run again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the strength training, and maybe that's why I'm not ready to run yet. I'm getting in some good strength sessions each day.

      Delete
  5. I felt exactly the same way after my half -- my body felt fine, but my mind said hey! let's rest a little here, you've been working really hard for a long time.

    And I'm happy to say my first 2 runs back felt great. Not sure how long that'll last. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first run back from anything is usually tough, but then the rest are fine. My mind does need a break since I'd been training since late January.

      Delete
  6. I am a believer in giving yourself plenty of time. I've learned the hard way not to jump back in too quickly, both from a mental standpoint and a physical standpoint. I say let yourself get to the point where you "miss" the running and then you'll know you are ready. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've jumped back in too early and I learned my lesson. I don't want to get injured again.

      Delete
  7. Yeah, a break is always a nice thing. When you want to run again, you'll know. I am just getting back to it after my mini break this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also still busy with other stuff, and it's nice not having to squeeze in a workout. Once we hit June, I think things will calm down.

      Delete
  8. I'm right there with you, girl! Loving having some time off. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been nice, mostly since I can stay in bed on the weekends. If my stomach's not growling, I'm staying in bed and not moving, even if I'm awake.

      Delete
  9. I hope you enjoy your running break! We all need that every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been nice. I knew I would need time off after my race, so I'm going with the flow.

      Delete
  10. Enjoy you break from running! Its important to take some time off after a race to recover not only physically but also mentally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mostly mental. I want to test myself physically and see where I am after another month of strength training, but my mental state is saying not yet.

      Delete