Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Tinker Bell Weekend Day 1

Now that I've recapped the actual race, the next few posts will be about the weekend itself.  So far I have 4 posts coming up because these were busy days.

My weekend started early on Thursday, with my shuttle picking me up, and my flight before 8am.  When I landed, LA was cloudy, and that would be the theme for the 3 days I was there.  It didn't rain Thursday, but it did Friday and Saturday, sunny on Sunday when I was flying home.  Typical :-p


My plan for Thursday was to try to take it easy, which is easier said than done at Disney.  My hotel has a shuttle, but I decided to walk to the parks and have some fun in Disneyland.  I used the shuttle the rest of the trip.  When I got to Disneyland, my first stop was Starbucks for tea and food, since I was hungry, and I made note of the Disneyland Starbucks mug.  Must get by the end of the trip.  I walked around and rode the Alice in Wonderland ride and went to the Tiki Room before getting lunch, and walking over to the Disneyland Hotel.  Before lunch, one of the bands was playing music by the Tea Cups.  I love the musical acts you see in the parks.  This was day one, and they kind of reminded me of the band from Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.


After lunch, I headed over to the expo.  One thing I will say is the Disneyland Hotel is on the complete opposite end of Downtown Disney from the parks, and I didn't remember the walk being that long when I was a spectator in 2009.  I was still getting back in shape back then, so I wasn't aware of the distance and saving my legs for a race.  Then when I got to the hotel, I had to keep going to the convention center.  Maybe Run Disney should use the Grand Californian?  It's closer.  I picked up my bib, D&B bag, Raw Threads shirt, and my race shirt plus check bag.  Lots of expo loot.


I made it to the shuttle area, saw my hotel shuttle, and used that to get back.  By that time my quad was sore and my feet were hurting.  Since I had been awake early, I was starting to crash, so I decided to head back and nap a little bit and rest my legs.  I had scoped out the ice machines and brought quart bags, so after napping, I iced, foam rolled (yes, I packed a roller), and stretched before setting out for DCA.  Once in DCA, I saw this guy, and made a beeline to his line.  Before lunch I missed the Evil Queen, and I wasn't missing a picture with him.


I'm such a Disney nerd :-)

I spent a couple more hours in DCA, taking advantage of the single riders line at Soarin' and Radiator Springs Racers, got dinner, then headed back to the hotel again.  I held out to watch the Big Bang Theory before crashing for the night.

8 comments:

  1. That's so cool you got a photo with Oswald! I've never seen him in the park before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either, and I couldn't believe it. I wasn't passing up the picture.

      Delete
  2. I'm such a Disney nerd, too. IT'S SO FUN!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun. I knew who he was right away. With all the pictures I have with Mickey, I had to get Oswald.

      Delete
  3. Nothing wrong with being a Disney nerd, love it!
    Sounds like a fun trip! I doubt you were alone in those not resting up and hitting up the parks, I mean it's Disney so you have to right!
    So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! At least I didn't have any kids to keep up with, and I could dictate the schedule and go back and nap when I needed to.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe that Oswald was out! That is awesome! I love Disney! its so fun )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that Oswald was out! That is awesome! I love Disney! its so fun )

    ReplyDelete