Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Tinker Bell 10k

What a weekend!  I got back Sunday afternoon, and I was exhausted.  I'm going to recap the days in the parks, but today's TOTR is all about the 10k.  Buckle up, it's a long post.


I intended to wake up at 3:45/4am, with two alarms set on my phone, but of course I woke up before that.  I never sleep well before a race.  I took it easy on Friday, but I still made sure to go to bed early.  I like that I don't have to wake up as early in Disneyland, and having my body clock on Central Time also helps.  Since I was up early, I started my pre-race rolling and stretching before eating.  I tried to not overdo it in the parks, but I did overdo it on Thursday.  I did a lot of walking between time in the parks, and walking over to the Disneyland Hotel for the expo.  That hotel is the furthest Disney hotel from the parks, and my calf developed a knot Friday.  I was hoping my leg would be OK for the race.

After eating breakfast, I got dressed and got ready to walk to the corrals.  When I opened my door, it was raining :-(  I had planned to bring a windbreaker in my check-bag for post-race, and I put that on, along with my Oiselle hat to try to keep the rain off as much as possible.  I was certainly cranky, but everyone walking to the corrals was in the same situation.  It was dark, but I kept my head down to look for puddles.  It may have been a lost cause, but I was trying to keep my shoes as dry as possible.


Bag check was in the Lilo parking lot, at the finish line, and one thing I'll knock Run Disney on is the bag check tent was the furthest from the entrance to the family reunion area.  I did a lot of walking before getting to the corrals, between walking from the hotel, through DTD and being sent to bag check, then having to retrace my steps and heading to the corrals.  All in the rain.  I gave up my windbreaker at bag check, so the throwaway shirt I was wearing did get damp.  I got in line for the portapotties, which were right by the entrance to my corral.  And thankfully at that point, it stopped raining.  It wouldn't rain for the race, but the roads were now wet and slippery.

 My plan had been to run 1/1 intervals, but the rain and crowds threw that out the window.  My first interval was running for two minutes to get away from the corrals and try to let the crowd spread out a little bit.  After that, my intervals were all over.  If I had a running interval, but we were heading downhill, I would walk.  The first 1.5 miles (ish) were up and around Highway 5, and I wanted to be safe and not risk falling on my face.  Once we were in backstage Disneyland, I went with my 1/1 intervals, but not for long.  My knee started twinging after mile 2, BUT it would let me run 30 seconds at a time, so I adjusted to 30 seconds run, 1 minute walk, and occasionally I could do a 1 minute run.  I was lucky too because the twinging stayed at twinging and didn't escalate.  I never reached that point where I couldn't keep doing a running interval.


Once we entered backstage Disneyland, the course stayed either backstage or in both parks until the last 1.25 miles, which then went through DTD on our way to the Lilo parking lot.  Since we were backstage or in the park paths, there were quite a few points of bottle-necking, and the crowd did make it difficult for me to speed up.  This definitely wasn't the course to test my speed, but since this was my first big race back from injury, speed wasn't my goal.  There were 3 character stops along the course, but I don't know if those were the only planned stops, or if the rain took away other stops.  All 3 stops were the fairies, one in Frontierland, and two in DCA.  Don't ask me who the fairies are, I only know Tink, and I didn't see her.  Anyone else do the 10k and I simply missed her?  Since I was dressed in a pirate theme, I wanted to find Captain Hook, but he wasn't on the course.  No matter, I found him during the day in Fantasyland.


Since I had to adjust my running intervals, I was able to finish the race strong.  The last mile or so, I kept with the 30 seconds intervals because I wanted to finish on a 1 minute run interval so I could run across that finish line.  Since I had to walk all of the 2014 WDW half, I wanted to run across this finish line.  I still had energy left in the tank, which made me feel good since I hadn't done that distance in a very long time, and my knee held up rather well.  I did get ice before getting my checked bag, which is good because trying to get through DTD back to my hotel, was... interesting.  The logistics with runners running through DTD on the course, and finished runners walking back to their hotels through DTD meant organization needs work through that area.  It was slow going, and I was thankful for the heat sheets we got because I did start to get chilly.


Even though this didn't turn out how I hoped, my twinging stayed manageable, I finished strong, and I had fun on this course.  I didn't take any pictures on the course, but stay tuned this week because there will be a lot of pictures from my time in the parks.  One thing I love about Disneyland is all the opportunities for pictures with characters.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.  

24 comments:

  1. Congrats Lesley! The first race back from injury is always a huge triumph. I'm glad you felt strong and your knee didn't give you any problems. That's a very pretty medal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now that post-race blues are dissipating, I'm quite happy with how the race went.

      Delete
  2. Yay for finishing strong and having fun! It sounds like the race was a good experience overall :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall, yes. I really like the 10k distance, and the Disney 10k medals are sweet.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your race. Even though it wasn't what you were hoping for, you still pushed thru and finished strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was determined to run across the finish line. I didn't feel tired or in pain :)

      Delete
  4. Way to go, Lesley! Congratulations and great job pushing through! Feeling strong is the biggest win of all!!! And that medal is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to hear more details about your time at the parks, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of my decision to do Tink was that medal. I wanted that 10k medal more than the half medal.

      Delete
  5. Congrats girl! I'm glad your knee stayed manageable and allowed you to run!! Love that medal!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was frustrated, but I can find the positive. I am grateful it didn't escalate the way it has in the past, and I could continue :)

      Delete
  6. I think you missed Tink on her break- whompwhomp! Pretty sure I saw pics of her on the course both days. Glad your knee held up and you were able to safely run the course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered. I saw the other fairies, and I thought it was unusual that I didn't see Tink.

      Delete
  7. Great finish! I hope your knee cooperated for the rest of the trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did, and it gave me a lot of time in the parks after the race.

      Delete
  8. Good job and really glad the knee wasn't a worse problem. Stupid knees!

    Sorry the weather wasn't better, but it sounds like you made the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were all getting wet walking over, and I could only hope the storm didn't last long. My boathouse jacket kept me dry until I had to check my bag.

      Delete
  9. Congrats Lesley, and I'm glad to hear that your knee held up as well as it did. There's no better place to run a race at than Disney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since Disney isn't a place to test speed, I knew it'd be a good place to test myself and see where I'm at. Running through DL and DCA was very fun.

      Delete
  10. Yay, I've been wondering how you did! I do remember the Tink 10k and half being a very "fast" race. I planned to do a walk/run when I did it last year but I missed the first few walk intervals cus I didn't feel comfortable slowing down cus everyone was coming so fast and it was a huge crowd!

    Congrats on getting through and your leg holding up! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the mid corrals so it wasn't too fast, but I knew I needed to have a longer opening running interval to keep with the flow. Once we were on the open road, it spread out nicely.

      Delete
  11. Congrats on your race! Glad it didnt rain during the race but its too bad everything was already wet. Nice job with your intervals and running across the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parks weren't bad, but going downhill on the roads could've been a risk. I didn't mind going slow, and I ended up running the second half a little faster than the first.

      Delete
  12. I was thinking about you last weekend, hoping you had a great race!
    Your smile in the picture says it all. Sounds and looks like you had an incredible time!
    Sorry you had some knee problems, but I am glad they weren't so bad that you couldn't still finish the race and run the intervals with just a few adjustments.
    Congratulations my friend, so happy for you! You've had such a long recovery to get back to this Disney race you love! You did awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty sure the knee issue was because of my time in the parks, but it's Disney. How can I not spend time in the parks?

      Delete