Monday, May 23, 2016

Monday Musings 5/23

Now that I'm not training for anything right now, a lot of this has been going on.  It's easy to relax when the cat demands attention and falls asleep on me.


I don't expect it to last much longer because we started to dry out from the rain, and Saturday morning was rather muggy.  I see it as a preview of the heat we're going to get.  We are in to late May, and summer usually starts to make itself known by now.  By full on summer, Allie's sprawled out on an end table.  She's already spending more time off the bed at night, and I'm going to have to adjust to her not being right up against me when I go to sleep.  Part of it could be good because she is a little heat machine, but I'm so used to her snuggling right on up.

I had planned to run a couple miles on Saturday, but between the muggy feeling and getting ingredients for the Jimmy Buffett tailgate this coming weekend, I didn't get around to it.  I'm making a Caribbean island lime shrimp recipe, and key lime bars.  I discovered there's a brand that Kroger carries that sells key lime juice, which makes things SOOOO much easier.  Key limes are much smaller than regular limes, and I've found 3 bags are needed to get the amount of juice my Martha Stewart recipe calls for, 2/3 of a cup.  Now I don't have to worry about that and just put the juice in.  Awesome!


I bought a new book Sunday, and I always get a thrill when I buy a new book.  I'm a little behind on my Amazon wish list, but I'm slowly making my way through them.  This one is #11 for the Malcolm and Suzanne Rannoch mysteries and was released when I was traveling to Disneyland.  Right before that trip, I read First Ladies of Running by Amby Burfoot, just in time to motivate me even more for the race.  I have a number of historical mysteries and historical novels to work through, and it's time to hunker down now that it's summer.


I'm keeping up with my strength training too.  My mom had bought two Pure Barre DVDs to try out and decided it wasn't for her and sent them to me.  Great!  I'd wanted to buy a couple for this summer and she offered to send hers, so now I have 3 discs to use.  Every strength session involves my legs to keep up with my PT.  The Pure Barre sessions allow me to work on my upper strength since that's as important as lower body.  I could feel myself running faster before Tink, and I hope to continue that.  I have my eye on the Bolder Boulder next spring, and I need to work on my strength big time if I'm to improve on my time.  That does mean I need a 5k or 10k this fall to register with.  The first 30 waves require proof of time to finish under 68 minutes, and while I don't think I'll get there, it'd still be nice to see what I can do speed wise this fall.


Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up.

24 comments:

  1. That's an adorable photos of you with the sleeping cat :) I love it when the kitties come to cuddle with me and then I use it as an excuse to tell me husband I can't get up and do things because that would wake the poor cat. He doesn't usually buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family has always used that excuse. Even when Allie's pushed me to the edge of the bed, it's difficult to move her because she's so cute.

      Delete
  2. I've got that lime juice in the fridge and I love it! That shrimp sounds amazing and a Jimmy Buffet tailgate sounds like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! All I know is when I found it online, I needed it. No more juicing however-many key limes.

      Delete
  3. The Jimmy Buffet tailgate sounds fun. You should get those Margaritaville drink mixes you put in water. The pina colada is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My items are key lime bars, shrimp with pineapple, and tequila, because it also goes in the shrimp marinade. it's a huge tailgate so I think we'll have soooo much stuff.

      Delete
  4. I use that Key Lime Juice all the time to make key lime pie! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I knew was I was saving so much time because there's not much juice in a key lime. I can cut down my prep by a lot.

      Delete
  5. The lime shrimp sounds amazing! Hope you had a fun time at the tailgate! I never thought you could do barre at home on a DVD, what a great workout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have several DVD series for barre, with minimal equipment, which makes it a lot easier to keep up with at home.

      Delete
  6. Gizmo doesn't lay on my quite so much as it heats up (which would be cool for you), which is sometimes kind of nice, cause that cat thinks he should be laying on me at least an hour morning, noon & night. No joke! He's very demanding about it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Allie settles down, she's good for at least an hour too. Winter's great because if I'm having a lazy weekend, we snuggle on and off all day.

      Delete
  7. I love key lime recipes and anything with lime juice in general! It just makes the dishes pop like nothing else, yes? I'd been looking at buying Pure Barre DVDs, also, and was curious if they require any special equipment or an at-home "barre"? I have heard AMAZING reviews about Bolder Boulder - it's on my list of races that I want to do at some point in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, they use minimal equipment, except those that require a resistance band. You can order that online too. They recommend a wall, table, counter top, or chair to act like a barre, but they don't require an at-home barre.

      Delete
  8. I've got to know more about this Jimmy Buffett tailgate? We visit Margaritaville as much as we can in every city that has one! I love the restaurants and my husband well, he loves the margaritas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's in Dallas for his concert Saturday and half the fun of a Buffett concert is tailgating. There is RV overnight parking from Friday to Sunday at noon, and then day of parking. It's definitely a people-watch thing too.

      Delete
  9. Thats great that your mom sent you some barre DVDs! I hope you like them! Nice work keeping up with the strength training:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When she offered I was like "oh yes please!" That'll save me some money, and I've got two more that I've already checked out.

      Delete
  10. If I had a cat, I'd be all for snuggles too:) Heck, everytime I visit my sister who has a cat I am always trying to grab the bundle to snuggle with while I sit and chat, oddly he starts running if I look him in the eye now, LOL Not really a snuggler, LOL
    Very cool about the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allie wasn't a snuggler at first, even though she'd lay down next to me, but now she is and demands attention.

      Delete
  11. I use that brand of Key Lime and Lemon juice. Love it. I like the lemon in my sweet tea -- which I only treat myself to during the summer. My dogs are spending more time on top of the covers. Yes, summer is indeed here. It's great your Mom sent you the Pure Barre DVDs. Thanks for linking with us Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw they sell key lime juice, I thought that was brilliant and I was determined to find it. Much easier than trying to find key limes.

      Delete
  12. Pets can be so persuasive when it comes to just cuddling them on the couch and taking a nap versus getting up to do something :) That Jimmy Buffett tailgate sounds like my kind of party!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so difficult for me to stay awake once Allie hunkers down. She starts purring and sleeping and it's contagious.

      Delete