Tuesday, April 5, 2016

TOTR: My Training

Tuesday on the Run is all about descriptions today.  If I had to choose one word for my running, it could be "hopeful."  When the year started, I wanted to be able to have a good training and do the Tinker Bell 10k with no pain.  That's it.  No time goals, just to be able to have a good training cycle and have no pain come race day.

Source: Run Disney
I was optimistic and even with pain during my first 3-mile run, I was in the middle of acoustic wave therapy for scar tissue.  I was able to keep building per the schedule, all the way to 4 miles, before I had to put on the brakes a little bit for my present PT cycle.  PT wasn't in the plan, but c'est la vie.  I started training early and cut out the long taper process because I've done 6 miles before, albeit 3 years ago, and I wanted a cushion in the schedule if hiccups occurred.  Well, they have occurred, but I'm still hopeful.  I did 3.5 miles on Saturday and felt good.  The schedule said 4.5, but the run went well and I played it smart.

I'm still hopeful after being at my chiro's yesterday.  He said he could already tell my quad and ITB was more stabilized than when I saw him two weeks ago.  I was even still in alignment, so no side was pulling my pelvis out of whack.  He still did some adjustments, and loosened up my leg since these exercises left me a little tight after Sunday.  I did around the world lunges on top of my homework, and those did a number on my inner thighs.  As long as that means they're getting stronger, I'm good with that.

My main goal is still be pain free for Tink.  I plan to take it easy the 3 days I'm at Disneyland, and I hope I can.  I absolutely want to visit the parks and have fun, but I'm going to meander through each one, sit as much as I can, and somehow figure out how to pack my smaller foam roller.  Will it fit in my suitcase?


Tuesdays on the Run with Patty, Erika, and Marcia.  

20 comments:

  1. Good luck with your training! I hope you can fit the foam roller in the suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few rollers in various sizes, so I can play around. The last time I took my Stick with me, TSA looked at it.

      Delete
  2. Have you ever seen Shawshank Redemption? "Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen Shawshank. Sometimes I feel like Pollyanna with the glad game.

      Delete
  3. Oh that is awesome news, to hear you've come so far in 2 weeks alone! Keep it up, I am very HOPEFUL for you that your hips will give you no more trouble very very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I keep doing new exercises at PT and keep getting new ones to do at home. It'll keep me busy.

      Delete
  4. I love your word for today! Good luck on taking it easy while in Disneyland. Are you like me that thinks you need to pack in as much as you can? This was so hard for me to do before my marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be low key on this trip, but normally, in a group, it's hard to not "go go go" during the day.

      Delete
  5. Have you looked at the Original Worm? Not only would it fit in your suitcase, it will fit in your carryon. I really do like mine. It's not hard like a foam roller, but I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of the Original Worm. I'll have to look into that.

      Delete
  6. I am hopeful for you! I really do hope that by the time you get to Disneyland the last thing on your mind is pain and that you have a wonderful race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm working towards that and to have a fun race.

      Delete
  7. Sending you lots of healing good vibes! I'm hopeful for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's been frustrating but I have to keep going.

      Delete
  8. I think that running should (in many ways) always be a bit hopeful. That said, I am hopeful for your non running that it may lead to more running for you! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did feel really good doing 3.5 miles over the weekend, and I'll see how I feel this weekend with a full week's worth of PT.

      Delete
  9. Having just come back myself I know how you feel and I wish you painfree running and I love "hopeful"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking for something positive. Yes I do get frustrated, but I want to think happy thoughts so I don't get bogged down.

      Delete
  10. I've taken my small foam roller with me before. At least it doesn't add much weight to the suitcase. Fingers crossed for continued pain free running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The foam won't add much weight, which I why I want to see if I can pack it. I will definitely pack my lacrosse ball, but a foam roller will help too.

      Delete