Thursday, April 7, 2016

Random Thursday 4/7


Today is Thinking Out Loud because I've had a lot of random thoughts.  They kept coming this week, and there are a few.

PT #4 today, and I got even more take-home exercises on Tuesday.  I'm getting quite the arsenal of exercises to do at home, so I'll split Tuesday's up and add half to workout #1, and half to workout #2.  This time around I got one-legged squats (but don't squat too low), wall sits, alternating swimmers for my back, and then hip hikes.  She's not happy with my back stabilizers either, even though my back itself is stronger than my glutes.  OMG, I'm a walking mess.

*****

Monday night, I was kind of bummed out because I've been eying the RnR Vegas 10k as potentially my next race, BUT registration opened Tuesday, and I really do need to wait until after Tink to see how everything goes.  Signing up for races in advance is what got me in this imbalanced world to begin with.  To make me happy, I bought the 2nd season of Rizzoli&Isles and the 7th season of NCIS.  Only to find out the Vegas 10k and 5k open for registration in May.  Son of a biscuit!  I have to avoid the internet again, which isn't possible at work.

*****


I think I found Allie's favorite flavor for her Greenies dental treats.  When I adopted her, her foster mom said Allie loves Greenies, so I've stuck with that.  She won't touch Temptations, which my parents' cats LOVE, but she'll eat her Greenies.  I've been playing around with different flavors, but getting her to eat treats from a FRESH BAG is agonizing.  I realize they may smell different than the not-stale-but-not-new treats, but I have to convince her to eat the new treats.  Until this week, when I tried the Tempting Tuna flavor.  She doesn't even leave crumbs, and this girl's a messy eater.  I'll see how this goes and may stick with Tuna going forward.

*****

I'm trying to learn how to balance the additional PT exercises I keep getting, and when to run.  So far I've run once a week since PT started because 1) I don't want to overdo it and 2) I need to focus on strength training.  Do I keep the 30-minute runs on Wednesdays, or do I sacrifice those for higher focus on strength training?  I'm not just doing the PT exercises, but I do make sure I do every one I've received in each set.  I'm doing additional exercises that I know (from soreness) target those certain areas.  How do I balance this?  Is the additional rest off my legs beneficial for a good long run on the weekends?

*****


I decided to splurge and buy the Tinkerbell Dooney&Bourke letter carrier.  The design for the weekend's bags was released yesterday, and I love it!  I need to replace the purse I have because it's faded and fraying, and I was waiting for these designs.  I'm such an impulse buyer so I've saved up for extra, fun expenses for the trip because I will be at Disneyland :-)

Thinking Out Loud with Amanda.

12 comments:

  1. That D&B letter carrier is BEAUTIFUL!!! Totally worth the splurge. =)

    Let me know what you end up doing with RnR Vegas! I am strongly eyeing it for a fun weekend splurge, too. From what I understand, it doesn't sell out right away.

    I understand the feeling of being a walking mess with PT, too. When I was going through my twice-weekly sessions, my PT pretty much added three new exercises for me to do at every session. By the end, I had so many exercises on my to-do list that I didn't know what to do with myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The number of exercises is manageable, but I do spend a good amount of time total each day. I don't know what my summer schedule is going to have, so Vegas may have to wait.

      Delete
  2. Love the carrier, I think thats a fun splurge for sure!
    I think it's awesome PT has you so busy. I can literally tell your mood in your writing about it and I can tell your doing great and well on the recovery wagon!!
    If you do the RnR 10K in Vegas, you may just see me there (maybe) my new sponsor wants me to do the RnR Las Vegas Marathon, I've done it before but I am definitely considering it even though I haven't given them the official thumbs up:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done a night race yet, and where better than Vegas when they've got the lights up for the night? That would be a lot of fun.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I'm doing the RnR Half in Vegas and my understanding is they don't sell out right away or anything so you have time :) I'm not in a place to be able to spend the money for the half until Summer but I'm sure it will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll wait until I recover from Tink to make my decision. It may have to be a next year thing, but Vegas is definitely on my list.

      Delete
  4. I'm not a disney fan but that is totally cute!

    I'm still running because a) my injury is minor (although the IT has been talking to me a bit, but I know I have it under control) and b) I have a half in about 5 weeks. Gotta run!

    Luckily I don't think I have quite as many exercises as you, but yeah, squeezing them in is a pain. But my ankle feels a LOT better this week! So it's worth it.

    Geez, where was everyone back when I was doing RnR Vegas? Although actually I did meet up with friends there. But now I know so many more people doing it! And Mr. Judy loooooooves Vegas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may take up my time, but the exercises are worth it. After my chiro said my leg feels more stabilized, I will do whatever the PT wants me to do.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with knowing so many exercises that can help to prevent injury. Now I just try to focus on doing a few with really good form. Maybe your PT can give you recommendations about how to balance your schedule?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did ask her yesterday, which I'll post about on Monday. Long story short, I'm cleared to run on more days.

      Delete
  6. Its so easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of registering for races, but you also have to be smart about not spending money that you don't have. You're making the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I don't know what life has in store for me this summer, and we do have some good 10k's in the fall/winter. I wouldn't have to travel besides driving to the start line.

      Delete